Forum home The potting shed

Dahlia seeds

Happy New Year to all fellow gardeners. Now that the new year is here I've been trying to plan out what I'm going to plant this year. I've already got a number of seeds purchased,  some collected from plants in the garden from last year but I'm having trouble finding pompom dahlia seeds in red and white only colours.  Looking through various suppliers websites I can get multi coloured packets of seeds or individual Tubers in red or white. Can anyone recommend a source of single colour dahlia seeds.  Thanks.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,285
    I don't think you can get Dahlia seeds in single colours they are all mixed . You'll have to go with tubers 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,852
    You could sow a packet of mixed pompoms and note which are red or white when they flower. 
    If you lift those tubers in the autumn, and pot them up the following spring you'd get quite a few cuttings from each plant that would flower the same year.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Dobbin26Dobbin26 Posts: 7
    Thanks,  I thought this might be the case and what I would have to do.  The reason for trying to get the seeds was to try and keep the costs down.  Thanks again