Forum home The potting shed

That's C*******s Done For Another Year - Hoorah!

LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,161
I don't mind admitting I find the festive period a real strain, and my health usually suffers. It gets harder every year. All that forced jollity and other people's expectations. I can't disappear into my garden so I usually turn to drink. Well .... maybe a bit of an exaggeration but I did buy a full case of my favourite red wine in anticipation of the trauma ahead. Think there might still be a bottle left somewhere :D

Any fellow sufferers out there?
Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,591
    All over now @LunarSea!  Here's to a great 2023 (oh - my glass is empty - any red left?)
  • herbaceousherbaceous OxfordshirePosts: 2,313
    definitely not a sufferer, just moved into a brand new house after nearly 50 years in my last one and it felt very empty and sterile.  Family came over on Boxing Day bringing a feast which they organised and now the house feels more like my home. Love it.
    Also important to have greenery at this time of year so that it can be taken outside with all the bad spirits, a decorated tree makes that fun.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,253
    Covid and still being classed as “vulnerable” to infection have had one wonderful consequence. No visitors. 😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • CrankyYankeeCrankyYankee New England, USAPosts: 141
    I get insanely anxious when there is a crowd (more than two people) in my house...just thinking about the chaos that ensues from Thanksgiving through to the new year is enough to send me into a tizzy.  The noise, the confusion, the family drama...I'm finally beginning to breathe again.  And it definitely gets worse the older I get.  I do love the holidays but the pressure (which I know is self inflicted) I could do without. 
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081
    Decorations coming down tomorrow.  Well actually, they're going up in the attic. Then I can be sure it's really over. 

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 4,050
    I started taking our decorations down today but there are a lot of them and the task can stretch out until the 12th night. Personally I love the Christmas period. If there are only two of us we normally invite for Christmas lunch a villager or two who would otherwise be on their own, and then there is a host of parties and drinks receptions to go to, either as inviters or invitees. This is just such an exceptionally friendly, inclusive village. We love it.

To cap it all we heard today we won the annual charity Christmas quiz that a neighbouring village always puts on. As the prize is typically donated by one of Uppingham’s most stylish shops we are very pleased. We always tell the organiser we are willing to stand down (I think we have won about 5 years in a row) but she’ll have none of that.
  • coccinellacoccinella Luxembourg Posts: 517
    I understand how you feel @LunarSea. In mid December I decided to go ahead with this in mind: "think what a great feeling when you take them down, it is worth doing it just for that it's over! feeling 😀😀" I also opened only one of the 4 boxes, so it is going to be quick tidying up.

I don't know ... I used to like it. Grumpy old git I suppose.
    When down go out and buy a packet of seeds
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 727
    I don't mind Christmas but equally don't get excited by it. If you ever had to work in a shop over Christmas,  you'll probably avoid Christmas songs like the plague, I certainly do.
    We stopped giving presents years ago and adopted a plan where we take it in turn every year to rent a holiday home somewhere instead and spend the week together. This year it was my turn so we will be going to the Lake district in September.  
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,018
    I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the children have just about gone back to school after the Summer holidays when Christmas starts looming over the horizon.
    "Back in the day" it would be Bonfire Night out of the way before we thought about the festive season. I don't recall Halloween being a "thing".
    Added to which presents these days are a nightmare, everyone has pretty much everything they want, so l tend to stick with drink or else something from the Body Shop or similar. Luckily there aren't many people who l consider warrant a present from me 😁. 

I was going to take the Christmas trees down today, but it's been so dark and gloomy l have left them for one more day. I will miss the lights.
  • Red mapleRed maple YorkshirePosts: 573
    I like the Christmas season, though I suppose it can get a little fraught in the run up. However, this year we said to family that we weren’t doing any presents because everyone either has what they need or buy it as and when they need it - the conundrum of what to buy was becoming a headache. This worked pretty well, and reduced the pressure considerably,  except a couple of family members still bought us some little bits and pieces because they didn’t feel it felt like Christmas otherwise. I wish they hadn’t but what can you do?
    We’ve tidied away some decorations as there are quite a lot, but still have some out plus the trees until 12th night. I will miss their cheerful glow when they come down.