Forum home Problem solving

Redbud tree seedling with grey/brown spots

Hi everyone happy new year !!!!!! I have a little redbud tree or cercis canadensis and he have grey brown spot on his leaves is it a mildew or a type of fungus?? Here’s some photos thank you so much 
y

Posts

  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,239
    Hello and a happy new year to you too.

    I see from an earlier post that you live in Canada. Most people on this forum live in Europe and I think that you are our only Canadian. It is difficult to suggest what might be the problem as your fungi and pests may well be quite different from ours.

    If I were you I’d ask your question on a Canadian forum.

    Good luck.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    This is a complete stab in the dark, but this might help

    https://ask2.extension.org/kb/faq.php?id=729383

    Happy New Year to you too  :)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869
    To me it looks like nibble marks caused probably by hungry little snail or slug.

    I have a polyscia that got similar marks on a few leaves last winter. I put a few slug pellets on the top of the compost and the damage stopped.
    Mine is a houseplant, but it goes outside now and then in the summer for some fresh air and rain. I'd guess the little bugger sneaked in then.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8 said:
    To me it looks like nibble marks caused probably by hungry little snail or slug.

    I have a polyscia that got similar marks on a few leaves last winter. I put a few slug pellets on the top of the compost and the damage stopped.
    Mine is a houseplant, but it goes outside now and then in the summer for some fresh air and rain. I'd guess the little bugger sneaked in then.
    Oh ok thank you mine are inside all winter and it’s really dry inside I changed pot and put a fan to help with air circulation. 
  • AnniD said:
    This is a complete stab in the dark, but this might help

    https://ask2.extension.org/kb/faq.php?id=729383

    Happy New Year to you too  :)
    Wow it really looks like that. I changed the pot and put a fan to help with air circulation but I don’t know what else to do. Thank you 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869
    If it's really dry inside, putting a fan on the plant will dehydrate the leaves further.

    I'd just keep it as you have been doing and as the days grow longer and it warms up it should sprout into growth again.
    See how it fares.
    But if you have 2-3 slug pellets - there's nothing to lose.

    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8 said:
    If it's really dry inside, putting a fan on the plant will dehydrate the leaves further.

    I'd just keep it as you have been doing and as the days grow longer and it warms up it should sprout into growth again.
    See how it fares.
    But if you have 2-3 slug pellets - there's nothing to lose.

    That’s true I didn’t think about that. Should I give them a little fertilizer? 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869
    No fertilizer atm as it's not growing, so it won't use it.
    I'd guess that seaweed extract would be ideal for it during the growing season  - just a little every 2-3 weeks.
    If you don't' have that any gen. purpose liquid fertilizer will do, but only when it's growing.
    Go lite on the ferts. too or the new growth may get soft and you want a nice sturdy tree.
    Best of all get it outside when it warms up so it can enjoy the breeze, rain and sun
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Pete.8 said:
    No fertilizer atm as it's not growing, so it won't use it.
    I'd guess that seaweed extract would be ideal for it during the growing season  - just a little every 2-3 weeks.
    If you don't' have that any gen. purpose liquid fertilizer will do, but only when it's growing.
    Go lite on the ferts. too or the new growth may get soft and you want a nice sturdy tree.
    Best of all get it outside when it warms up so it can enjoy the breeze, rain and sun
    Thank you so much for the advices I live in Canada so still 3 1/2 months to go but I put them under growing lights. 
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869
    I'm sure it appreciates that.
    We've still got a couple of months to go too until we get decent daylight and a some warmth. Then it starts to get very busy in the greenhouse and garden.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Sign In or Register to comment.