Forum home Fruit & veg

Watering system for raised beds

Itoohaveagarden_21Itoohaveagarden_21 West LothianPosts: 20
Looking to build 2 raised beds (1.2x3m) this month and wanting to set up a watering system as we are heading off to Mozambique for a month in July. 
I’ve looked online and it all seems very daunting and not much information on using it in a square foot style veg bed.
I’d appreciate any and all advice!!
thanks 

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,410
    I'd look at drip pipe systems with an automated timer unit, I was given 1 last year and set it up in my greenhouse 2.4mt X 4.8mt with 4 rows of tomatoes. It worked brilliantly and I'll  e adding this to more parts of the veg garden
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,251
    Itoohaveagarden_21  Wouldn't you be better off not having the RBs?  If you mulch the area concerned with something like lawn mowings before you go, and trust to luck that E Lothian will receive enough rainfall while you're away, you might have a greater chance of success?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    West Lothian gets a reasonable amount of rainfall, but a lot less than this side @Itoohaveagarden_21. My sister is there, and always gets a neighbour to water all her pots [not veg though - ornamentals]  but if you don't have that option, I'd do as @Wilderbeast suggests. It'll give you peace of mind. 
    It depends on what you grow though, and what the soil medium is like. Perhaps think about having fewer plants as an alternative. My sis did that, but only to save the neighbour's time!
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• McRazzMcRazz Posts: 144
    edited 5 January
    Looking to build 2 raised beds (1.2x3m) this month and wanting to set up a watering system as we are heading off to Mozambique for a month in July. 
    I’ve looked online and it all seems very daunting and not much information on using it in a square foot style veg bed.
    I’d appreciate any and all advice!!
    thanks 
    try something like this...

https://www.irrigationonline.co.uk/products/16mm-Drip-line-Watering-Kit.html

A sharp craft knife and a heat gun/blow torch to soften the pipe before pushing in the fittings is all you'd need.

Then go to B&Q and buy a 3/4" hozelock fitting and a cheap tap timer.

I have this same set up for watering the toms in my greenhouse, albeit from scavenged irrigation materials from projects i've worked on, and it has been faultless for the last two years.

This is the proper commercial irrigation pipe, not the poorly manufactured stuff you tend to find in DIY stores. 

Razz.

Edit - To be clearer on the requirement for the hozelock fitting. I'd run garden hose from your tap/timer to your raised beds, then couple it to the drip line with the 3/4thread & hozelock at that point.