Forum home Plants

Plant id please

LornaPLornaP Posts: 72
Could anyone tell me what this plant is that has appeared in my garden (through the fence I think)? The leaves are a lovely colour even at this time of year.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Which one?  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LornaPLornaP Posts: 72
    Sorry - the one with orange leaves. The other one is my rampant vinca!
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707

Cotoneaster?

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Looks cotoneaster-y to me too  :)
    Are there any berries still on it?
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,591
    My thought was cotoneaster too.  I had one appear by my front gate a couple of years ago and I've just been out to look - no berries left on it and only a couple of those lovely orange leaves.
  • LornaPLornaP Posts: 72
    I haven't spotted any berries to date
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 2,436
    Cotoneaster for me too   Very attractive at this time of year and really stands out against the fence  :)  
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,126
    The birds ate the berries on mine long ago.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • I am going to be controversial and suggest the orange leaved shrub is not a cotoneaster, the stems do not look " cotoneasterish" to me. To fine and spindly. Can you look over the fence to see how the plant is growing? I am wondering if it might be a smoke bush od some kind.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,707
    I am going to be controversial and suggest the orange leaved shrub is not a cotoneaster, the stems do not look " cotoneasterish" to me. To fine and spindly. Can you look over the fence to see how the plant is growing? I am wondering if it might be a smoke bush od some kind.
    No, smokebush leaves are more "roundish".
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).