Forum home Plants

Help identify variegated pothos

Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,928
Can you identify this variety of variegated pothos?  I got it as a cutting I took from a coworker, who got it from her daughter and had no idea even what type of plant it was.  

Green originates from the middle with white near the outside, often half the leaf is green.  The stem is half white, so depending on where the leaves come out determines how much white or green it has.  Some leaves are fully green.  (Plant is in bright indirect light with some morning direct sun in an east facing window).

Here is the mystery pothos next to a Pearl and Jade pothos.

Mystery plant is fairly straight, not ruffled like the P&J, and much larger.

Any ideas?  
Utah, USA.

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
    That's a very attractive plant @Blue Onion.  Would you say that there are just two colours, ie white, rather than cream, and green?  Also, does your plant trail or not?  I found this article with some descriptions of variegated forms which might help you: Variegated Pothos Care: The Ultimate Guide (+ 13 Varieties) (houseplantauthority.com)  I'm interested to know if others know or what you decide!
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,928
    @Plantminded Thanks for the link to the excellent article.  I didn't consider that labs go about creating these different variegated plants - gamma rays!? - but that makes sense from a commercial perspective.  I had a look at the various varieties, but nothing looked like a perfect match.  My plant has no yellow, just the dark green, lighter green, and then a marbled white.  Being a pothos, it's easy to care for.. just slow growing.  

Considering that variegated foliage can revert under stress, maybe it's possible mine has partially reverted in some way - as a cutting of a cutting (and maybe more beyond that?).  Half variegated and half normal green pothos.  
    Utah, USA.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
    Some of those cultivars can be quite valuable @Blue Onion, you may be on to a winner there!
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 2,055
    edited 1 January
    It might be Marble Queen. I’ve had one for some time and it looked very similar when it had better light. It’s a bit more green nowadays. Variegation can change depending on where the bud that produces the new shoot (or leaf) is situated. If the bud is on an area of the stem that is completely green it will produce a completely green leaf (shoot). The half-moon leaves are produced when a bud is situated between the cream and green variegation of the stem. Whatever it is, it’s very pretty and healthy. It’s good to know people who love plants.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,928
    @pitter-patter I think you may be correct in your identification as a Marble Queen.  I had an image search, and many look more consistently marbled.. but this image came up:

Their example of the Marble Queen looks very similar to mine.  How exciting!  

Thanks for your help!  
    Utah, USA.