Forum home Problem solving

Purple Sprouting brocolli

Hello Everyone! Happy New Year fir tomorrow. I hope you have a wonderful time. Unfortunately I’m in bed with the flu but at least it gives me time to review my garden and plan what to grow for the new year.
I tried growing purple flowering broccoli (which I love) but although it looked very healthy it never produced any broccoli heads. Can anyone throw a light on what the problem could be?

• EmptyheadtimeEmptyheadtime Ireland Posts: 181
    Purple sprouting does not produce ‘heads’ as such like normal broccoli, more lots of stems with mini heads. I sow mine around July/August. They are around 3ft tall just now with no sign of ‘heads’ and should be ready around Feb/March. If yours is still growing it may just need more time and should produce when it’s ready.
     I believe you can also sow them in March for a crop in sept/oct but I have never done this as I grow normal broccoli for summer/autumn and sprouting for the lean winter months.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,838
    It could be several things, PSB needs a very long growing season in order to mature. I  had problems some years ago with several of the brassicas,  cabbage not heading up  broccoli,  and cauliflower not producing nice tight heads etc. They are all quite hungry plants so need good rich but firm soil. I  now feed with seaweed meal which is a good slow release feed but the real clincher for me was rock dust or Remin, (same thing, different brands essentially crushed volcanic rock). It adds extra minerals to the soil . It's very slow acting so I sprinkle a little bit round each plant at planting time, you don't need much. I find it really makes a difference.  Its very useful round soft and top fruit too if you grow any. 
    AB Still learning

• Purple sprouting does not produce ‘heads’ as such like normal broccoli, more lots of stems with mini heads. I sow mine around July/August. They are around 3ft tall just now with no sign of ‘heads’ and should be ready around Feb/March. If yours is still growing it may just need more time and should produce when it’s ready.
     I believe you can also sow them in March for a crop in sept/oct but I have never done this as I grow normal broccoli for summer/autumn and sprouting for the lean winter months.
    Thank you. That’s really helpful. I’m glad I didn’t it give it to my helper for her chickens

• Thank you. I shall buy some of that tomorrow.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,248

LynfromSea  There are several varieties of PSB available that crop at different times of the year.  I buy our plants from a lady at our Saturday Market and she points me in the right direction.  The other thing to remember, gleaned from our local Postie, is that, unlike most brassicas, PSB and cauliflower isn't as alkaline conscious as the rest.  They need slightly more acidic soil, apparently, to help set the 'heads', i.e. the florets.
  • LynfromSeaLynfromSea Posts: 106
    nick615 said:

LynfromSea  There are several varieties of PSB available that crop at different times of the year.  I buy our plants from a lady at our Saturday Market and she points me in the right direction.  The other thing to remember, gleaned from our local Postie, is that, unlike most brassicas, PSB and cauliflower isn't as alkaline conscious as the rest.  They need slightly more acidic soil, apparently, to help set the 'heads', i.e. the florets.
    That’s really helpful Nick. We have alkaline soil here so that could be the problem. So much to learn about veg growing 
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,248
    Fresh farmyard manure tends to be acidic, if you can get some?