Forum home The potting shed

Your wish for 2023

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,253
Here’s mine.

May the women of the world, be they in Afghanistan, Iran, or any country that claims to “respect their rights” break free from the bullying and misogny that is their daily lot and may the world become a calmer, more peaceful place to live in.

Way to go, Greta!
Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Great tweet, but hating men is not a solution to the problem. All men are not bad.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 615
    I wish for an amazingly easy cure for climate change to be discovered and implemented! Before the year is out, species are no longer about to be extinct. Dream on 😒
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,253
    I’m not saying that they are. And I don’t hate “men”. I’m married to a lovely man.

I’m just saying that only half the human race can recognise the thousands of micro-aggressions, of expectations for deference, the daily giving-in-for-a-quiet-life that come with being female.

We are born into it, it is the norm, we learn to live with it, but even so, it’s tiring. But we smile. We smile because that is what girls do.

Misogyny, abuse of women, is only the shock horror aspect of it. There is a lot more to walking in our shoes than that. Far from “hating men”, I think a lot of men (for reasons that I fail to understand) hate (or rather, fear) women. Otherwise, why would so many women be attacked and sometimes murdered by men who they’ve never even met?
  • I'd never heard of Greta's "New Best Friend" until yesterday.  Her wonderful put down deserved the applause it received.  Well done to her.
    The situation in Afghanistan is horrendous - so many lives ruined for no reason other than some weird form of religious bigotry. No one can even protest in safety - women or men.  Makes the UK's strikes and disruptions seem minor in comparison.
    Agree with @pansyface - not a case of hating all men - just those who persist in the use of such tactics to grind others into the ground.
    Perhaps it's time to call for a new state to be created - similar to Israel - where all those women and men can live in safety.  Leave the Taliban (and those who follow them) to their own devices.  Unlikely I suspect.
    edited December 2022
    Hmm, I went to Israel many years ago to work on a kibbutz.  I’m not Jewish. Not even religious. Just wanted a sunny summer student job.  

It was an eye opener.  To see that a system that had been designed as the absolute epitome of cooperative equality, the kibbutz, had become mired in the age-old “men get the good jobs and women do the crap ones” reality. The men got to drive the tractors and enjoy the outdoors and the women stayed indoors in the heat and humidity and did the (communal) ironing and washing up.  It would have been funny if it hadn’t been so predictable.

After my stint I decided to travel to all the places I’d heard about in my (yawn) RE classes at school.  I went to the wailing wall. I was physically removed from the area by a man. Women weren’t allowed to get close to it. Only men. Women are dirty.

As St Augustine said, (in Latin) “between shit and piss we are born”. All of us. At what point do one half become golden boys and the other half become tainted?
  • coccinellacoccinella Luxembourg Posts: 517
    A lot of it is in the tradition that boys (read: their wives!) will look after the elderly parents in many parts of the world. So girls are seen as worthless.

One thing I would like to say, please don't open anything with the name of that waste of space (Andrew Tate) my son told me that every time we open something relating to him (even the Guardian, apparently)  we raise his ranking in Google searches and stuff like that. It is terrifying that twelve years' old boys listen to him.

When down go out and buy a packet of seeds
    edited December 2022
    For me I only want a healthier year than this one and appreciate every little good thing that comes my way. 

Interesting idea @philippasmith2
    The taliban will never let them go.

How else will they get their washing done and their dinners cooked and their baby boys born?