Forum home Plants

Found these bulbs not sure what they are?

I found these coming up in an old black pot that I had stored behind my shed, they’re either daffodils or tulips as I grew both early this year then when I wanted to re use the terracotta pots after they had flowered I put them in a black plastic pot & promptly forgot about them. Must admit they’ve done well to survive the hot summer with no attention! I did put a label in the pot but it’s completely faded so just wondering if anyone can identify what they might be?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    They look much more like Tulips than Daffodils.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Yep could be! I wonder if they’ll flower again?
  • They look like tulip bulbs to me so most of them will probably not flower again.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    I agree - tulips. Pot them up and see what happens.
    It'll depend on the type and conditions you have as to whether they'll flower this year  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble SuffolkPosts: 4,307
    I'd say tulips too 
  • EmptyheadtimeEmptyheadtime Ireland Posts: 182
    If I had to guess I would of said the ones on the left are tulips but the ones on the right look different and I would of said daffodils but I will bow to the greater knowledge of others 😀
  • I’ll put them back in the pot & see what happens then! one of the tulips was Queen of Night and yes Emptyheadtime you could be right re the daffs I had tête-à-tête daffs that had multiple bulbs stuck together!
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    Queen of Night sometimes have a return or two. Tulips need better drainage than daffs and more sun. 
    Do you mean you had daffs and tulips in the same pot? I'm confused now  :)
    All tulip and daff bulbs multiply by making offsets, which can then look like two or three bulbs together. Is that what you mean by them being stuck together? 
    In any case, wait and see what happens, and tie a piece of string or similar round the ones that flower [different depending on daffs or tulip if there's both] then separate them all after they've flowered, discarding any that are rotten/damaged etc. Feed then once or twice while they die down if they're staying potted.
    If you have them all crowded together, that won't help them for future years anyway   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hi Fairygirl yes I had daffs & tulips in different terracotta pots & some mixed together, when they all finished flowering I waited for them to die down & as I wanted to re use the pots, I transferred some to plastic pots to store over summer/autumn then grow again in 2023. I did have quite a lot & put some in the lawn including some tulips as an experiment to see if they come up again. 
    So these could be a mix of daffs & tulips, I will pot them up in different pots & see what happens & post a pic 😁
    I think I’m getting a bit obsessed with bulbs as I bought more today hugely reduced in the garden centre, oops! 
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,291
    All of them are tulips