Forum home Plants

Planter size for a large acer with small rootball

puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 200
Hi everyone

I got this beautiful acer seiryu for Christmas, along with a 50cm wide x 38cm tall planter. The tree came in a 10L pot.

When trying to plant up the tree I saw that its rootball is very small. It wasn't potbound in that tiny pot it came in, and the trunk doesn't seem stable in the compost.

Is it OK to plant directly into that larger planter? I was worried and thought I should pot up slowly so put it into a smaller pot first, but perhaps that's a mistake as it's a very tall tree?

Thanks 😊 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,854
    I think you've done the right thing, my concern is why so small a rootball for a not so small top
  • puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 200
    Thanks @nutcutlet, that's reassuring. Yeah I find it concerning too. Apparently the tree was 50% off - I guess this was why...
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    Yes - don't over pot it. 
    You'll just have to wait and see how it does. Keep it sheltered so that it isn't affected by the wind. 
    Is that square container metal? I'd use something else if it is. The last thing an Acer needs in summer is a hot metal container around the roots. A glazed pot is better, or even a terracotta one, although they can absorb a lot of much needed moisture.
    I paint mine on the inside with PVA to help prevent that. I often do the outside too, although it can leave marks. It just helps a bit, even though we don't have to worry too much here about pots drying out. I also paint my terra pots which is another method of helping with moisture loss. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,854
    Thanks @nutcutlet, that's reassuring. Yeah I find it concerning too. Apparently the tree was 50% off - I guess this was why...
    probably, not very honest was it. I wonder if you should reduce the top a bit. Maybe that branch that kinks over at the top could come off, see what others think. Check re the graft to make sure all growth is from above it before you chop.
  • puschkiniapuschkinia BrightonPosts: 200
    Thanks @Fairygirl. Great, I'll keep it in that smaller pot and hope for the best.

The planter is metal, yes. But it's in the shadow of the house all year round and shaded by other pots - that spot wasn't particularly hot even in last summers heatwave, so I'm hoping the metal will be OK. But I'll keep an eye this summer and if it heats up I'll get rid 

By pva do you mean pva glue? Nice tip, thanks! I'll try that :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    Yes - I use it for the pots I have sweet peas in because they don't appreciate getting dry. It also helps a good bit with preventing the pots cracking in winter, especially if there are plants in them - wet and freeze cycle. You can use varnish too - anything which just adds a bit of extra protection. It may need re doing now and again  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....