Forum home Problem solving

Help with recently layed lawn

Hello everyone 

I’ve layed out some sir Walter buffalo about 7 days a go and felt like I’ve done everything right however it looks like the grass is beginning to die out completely. Can someone help me understand what I’ve done wrong or if it’s possible to save it? I layed out the same grass a few months ago in other parts of my lawn and it’s thriving! 

- prior to turf arriving a cleared the ground and placed approx 100mm of turf underlay 
- on the day of turf arriving I placed a starter fertiliser as per packet instructions 
- layed out turf on the day of arrival and watered straight away 
- watered twice a day since then
- worried as we had some warm days in between 

Can the grass be saved? Or is it gone :( 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,184
    edited December 2022
    Hello and welcome to the forum. 
    I suspect you’re not in the UK as here we have cold wet weather at the moment.  Are you in Australia? 

It looks as if your turf is parched … how much have you been watering … it needs a thorough soaking each time … I would probably have a sprinkler running on that for at least an hour each day. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    I'd agree- loads and loads of water needed, now and probably for a good month or two if you don't have significant rainfall to help  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes I’m from Australia we had some mid 30 degree days recently. Been enjoying the weather even though it’s been a little tough on the turf.

Makes a lot more sense now. I thought I was being generous with my watering but it was just from a regular hose and no where near enough to equate to an hour long sprinkler. I was sort of just waving it around for a few minutes over each roll of turf. Guess I was a little worried about over watering killing it.

Going to give it a generous water now and pick up some sprinklers in the morning.

There is still green patches here and there so I’m hoping it survives. I did lift one corner up slightly and can feel the roots trying to hold onto the ground. So fingers crossed! 

Light watering does more damage  :)
    It encourages the roots to stay nearer the surface, which means they're less able to cope with longer dry spells. 
    I'll not swap your temps [horrible!] but I'd send you some of our rain if I could. I just emptied the rain gauge an hour ago. 35mm since yesterday morning. We currently have warnings for rain here where I am  :)

• Oh wow I had no idea  :(  

Will try take better care going forward! 

Don’t forget your umbrella! 
     :D 
    Good luck with it - if your prep has been good, it's hard to overwater initially  :)

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,703
    I was intrigued by that "sir Walter buffalo" name; did my research and found out that it's definitely an Australian species, see https://www.botanybrisbane.com/plants/poaceae-grasses/stenotaphrum/stenotaphrum-secundatum/

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • Been following the advice for a few days now and seems like the grass is starting to bounce back a slowly. 

Weather has been a little unpredictable however, typical around here these days. 

Thinking to continue the strategy for now unless there’s anything else you guys can suggest. 

Thanks again for the advice.

Just keep up with the watering  :)
    It'll be a tricky time of year for laying grass where you are, and getting it established, unless you get a good spell of persistent rain. Narrow stretches next to fences and beside hard standing will always be a little more difficult too - there's less soil for the grass to get down and rooted into. 
    Worst case scenario - if it doesn't take, you could try over seeding when you get a moister spell of weather, or replace with other planting that will cope with the site. Low growing evergreens for example  :)