Forum home Plants

Sale bargains

sking5sking5 Posts: 24
Crocus have some great deals at the moment, I'm hoping to buy some Jasmine, Clematis and Rudbekia in their sale. I know they should normally be planted in the spring, do I keep them in their pots until then, or plant them in the ground and put some fleece over them? Thanks!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,542
    @sking5, I'd keep them in their pots, tucked close by the house wall and under the eaves if possible. If it gets very cold again, just tuck some fleece over and around the pots.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,376
    You won't know whether they were bargains or not until the summer.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,196
    edited December 2022
    What kind of jasmine and clematis @sking5 ? What size are they? 
    The star jasmine that's very popular isn't hardy everywhere, and clematis vary massively in their requirements, although clems are hardy virtually everywhere. Some will not tolerate constant wet conditions though.
    Not all rudbeckias are perennial either, so it will help if you know what you have so that advice is accurate, although I would assume it's a reliably perennial one  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• sking5sking5 Posts: 24
    @Fairygirl the Clematis Montana Rubens and Trachelopspermum Jasminoides both 3 litre pots, I'm in Hertfordshire, I think I've decided against the Rudeckia now :-) 

Thanks all!

The montana will need plenty of room - they make very big plants. Moist but well drained is good for them, although they'll tolerate a fair bit of abuse once established  :)
    I don't know about the jasmine in your area, as they aren't hardy here, but someone else may be able to advise on the reliability for you.  :)
    3 litre pots are a decent size, so just keep the plants tucked somewhere out of the worst of the weather until you have a location for planting them out  :)

• sking5sking5 Posts: 24
    Thank you!
     :)