Forum home Tools and techniques

Using Anvil Secateurs on Shrub

BuchBuch Posts: 36
edited December 2022 in Tools and techniques
I got a gift of these anvil secateurs:

Original Löwe professional anvil garden shears

I was told they are very good secateurs.

I was happy to get them as I have a lot of overgrown shrubs like Buddleja and hawthorn hedges that need cutting back hard in the future.

However, I since read online that you can't use anvil type secateurs on shrubs, they can only be used for cutting up dead wood that's already removed from the shrub. Is this true?

I was looking forward to using them on the thicker woody growth so I could save the bypass secateurs for newer growth and more delicate work like taking cuttings. If they are only for cutting down removed growth, then I don't think I will get much use out of them as this is not an activity I do much.

Does anyone here ever use anvil secateurs on your plants?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,853
    The problem with anvil type secateurs is that they crush the branch rather than cut though it in one go - and you don't want to crush growing stems/branches.

I have anvil loppers that I use just for cutting dead wood.

I'd stick to the bypass secateurs for living plants.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,523
    Not purely on dead wood, they can certainly be used on harder wood stems such as older, thicker growth on established shrubs.
  • BuchBuch Posts: 36
    KT53 said:
    Not purely on dead wood, they can certainly be used on harder wood stems such as older, thicker growth on established shrubs.
    I'm glad to hear this because I need to do some pruning back hard of woody stems deep in some overgrown shrubs
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,848
    If your woody stems are thicker than 1.5 to 2cm, loppers will be more effective than secateurs (and less hard work!).  
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 228
    I use anvil secateurs on live wood too thick for my bypass models. Agree if stems are really thick loppers are better
  • mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 228
    And Buddleja and hawthorn hedges are so tough they will be fine
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,940
    I had a pair years ago. Useless things. Bypass secs, and loppers for anything thick, are much better. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BuchBuch Posts: 36
    Fairygirl said:
    I had a pair years ago. Useless things. Bypass secs, and loppers for anything thick, are much better. 
    I must say, these German ones, which I believe are from the company that first invented anvil secateurs, are outstanding. I honestly get a cleaner cut than many of my good bypass secateurs. Would you be able to recommend me a good bypass loppers?
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,940
    Sorry - I just use any old stuff for loppers. I've never found the expensive ones to be any better than the cheapos. 
    My current ones are Wilkinson Sword, I think. Had them for years. I use a saw if I need something heftier too.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,853
    I've got these that I bought about 10 years ago and am very pleased with them.
    Being extendable makes a lot of difference especially when dealing with thick branches.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WOLF-Garten-RS900T-Power-Telescopic-Loppers/dp/B00AZYORS2/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3PUX456UUAG5P&keywords=wolf+bypass+loppers&qid=1672483370&sprefix=wolf+bypass+loppers%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-10&pldnSite=1
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.