Forum home Problem solving

tree staking

the strong winds have damaged my mum's strawberry tree, it is no longer standing straight and seems to have some root exposed  - how do I stake this? one diagonal stake, two straight stakes  - it can have gusty winds on this coastal location and I know its not the  best tree to withstand wind, however it has been there for  maybe two or three years without any problems and is approx 6 ft tall. any suggestions welcome 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854
    I'd use a single stake (which is the easiest) at an angle.
    The top of the stake should be pointing into the wind, so in the pic below, the wind is coming from the right.
    It's the roots that you want to keep stable, not the upper part of the tree, so keep the stake quite low as in the pic-
    Hopefully it'll sort itself out

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,956
    I agree with what @Pete.8 describes. That's by far the best method of staking in a windy site. If there's serious exposure from both sides, it can be worth doing two.  :)

If the roots are exposed though, you may need to firm them back in well first, and keep an eye on them over the next few weeks. Just make sure the stake goes in without damaging them too. You may need to use a longer stake than the pic just to avoid that  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• paanpaan Posts: 23
    lovely thanks .....I am doing this today!
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,241
    paan   Webbing straps of discarded ballast bags, and seat belts from scrap cars will make ideal for holding on to the take.
  • paanpaan Posts: 23
    great tip , thanks!