Forum home Plants

Pruning a large cotoneaster

Forgive my ignorance on this. We have a large cotoneaster that is expanding across our drive over the years that probably measures at least 6 feet deep to the wall it sits against. If I trim it right back by at least 3 feet will it survive? I realise that I will be removing all the foliage back into just all small branches but will that regenerate?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    It should do. They're very tough. The small branches and stems will grow on, and you can then trim it more regularly to prevent it getting too broad. Do you know which type it is?
    If you're worried, you could do a bit at a time though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Howard FillinghamHoward Fillingham Posts: 40
    edited December 2022
    Thank you Fairygirl. Unfortunately I don't but I can try using an app maybe?
    [EDIT] : There are two that have overgrown each other so to speak. One is Small-leaved cotoneaster and the other is Agapetes lacei if that helps.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,058
    edited December 2022
    Apps are notoriously useless for plants unfortunately!
    Is it an evergreen one? It may be cornubia or franchetii if it's that sort of size. You could look those up and see if that fits. C. lacteus is another    :)
    A photo of it would help though.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Da daa.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Are you sure? Agapetes Lacei is quite a rare plant.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
    edited December 2022
    No I'm not sure, it's just the app PictureThis is telling me that. After what FairyGirl says about apps it could well be wrong sir.
    [EDIT] : Having just Googled it, it's not Agapetes Lacei, it doesn't flower like that.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    Maybe a picture of that might help as well.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,856
    The top pic looks more like Lonicera nitida or Lonicera pileata
    edited December 2022
    It's the first picture above, that is 'supposed' to be Agapetes Lacei. Unfortunately they have grown together making photographing one without the other difficult.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,003
    I think (and l stress "think" :) ) that the second photo is of Cotoneaster horizontalis,  but there are several clever forum members who could identify both varieties with no room for doubt.

In my experience Cotoneaster (horizontalis and franchetti varieties) can be cut back hard and regrow with no problems at all.