Forum home Garden design

Filling a semi-sunny, sheltered flower bed

Any ideas for how to fill this bed? I have already planted a cherry blossom in it, but nothing else. It is a semi sunny and sheltered spot, and it would be nice to get some winter interest in it too. The edging has been repaired since this photo was taken!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Hi @jomacl - once your tree grows, the area won't be very sunny most of the growing season, so you may want to concentrate on that winter interest.
    It will also depend on the soil and your general climate, ie - drier or wetter etc.
    Hardy, evergreen plants like Hellebores and Pachysandra will cope as long as it isn't too dry, and the hellebores will give winter interest if you choose carefully. There are ones which are flowering from late autumn onwards. You can add cyclamen for autumn colour.
    You could add small shrubs - some Hebes might be ok although flowering will depend on the amount of sun, and some are hardier than others. They'll provide evergreen coverage though. Some grasses will also manage shade - Carexes, although not technically grasses, are fine in shade or sun. Many aren't too big and are evergreen. 
    Plenty of bulbs - especially tough ones like snowdrops, crocus and daffs. Summer will be trickier because of the tree, although it will also depend on how you site that, and what direction the sun comes in. Hardy geraniums are perfect for that kind of site too. :)

There are also plenty of perennials you can fit in, but it will help if you can offer more info about your general location. Some may not be hardy where you are, for example.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472
    If it has a tree now planted in the centre of it, I would underplant with Spring flowering bulbs.  This year you could put winter flowering pansies in  and primroses or primulas will flower in the spring.  If you have someone with forget me nots close by. , A few clumps transplanted will give you forget me nots for evermore.
  • jomacljomacl Posts: 17
    Thank you @Fairygirl and @fidgetbones, I hadn't thought of these plants before!