Forum home The potting shed

Do You Prevaricate?

UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,024
Do you? Or, are you decisive and go steaming ahead?

I'm normally a decisive sort of person - a job needs doing then jolly well get on with it. Except when it comes to the 'Tax Return'.
I won't allow myself to leave it until Jan but the ruddy papers, passwords etc have been sitting on my table for over a week now and I keep finding excuses to put it off. Actually, half the job is getting the stuff out of the drawer in the first place so I'm halfway there.

I think I'll just put the mycelium into the chopped straw and start the grey oyster mushrooms off first . . .

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,096
    Snap @Uff ,

I've also got a tax query to sort out ..... it's been going on for about three years now and I've still not got round to it. Thing is, they owe me money, so you think I'd be motivated.
    The thing that's putting me off is that the query I have can't be solved online .... so I'll have to ring them  :#
    The thought of all of that muzak and umpteen buttons to press before getting a human is just too much.

So I've decisively voted with my feet to have a coffee and a bit of chocolate instead.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,560
    @Bee witched - I wonder just how much is owed to people like you, who they make to jump through hoops before they will pay out what is your money?  Bite the bullet and claim what is rightfully yours!
    I have read that many of us engage in displacement activity rather than do the thing we really ought to be doing as we do not like the transitioning from the state we are in to another state.  In my case it is doodling on here rather than getting into a state which involves having to take my clothes of and get wet (ie - have a shower!).
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,990
    Well, that all depends..........
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,761
    Self-confessed procrastinator here ;) 

The tax return is a classic example - normally start it on the deadline day. 11.58pm is my latest submission :D 

I was the same with exams - last minute crammer. I'll never change no matter how much I claim, "that's the last time". It seems to work so, if it ain't broke...
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,024
    Oh gawd help me cos no one else can. 
    I'll be clear, I really am the most decisive of people but after I'd posted I decided to put a camera lens for sale and almost straight away someone was wanting to buy it but he can't collect so wants to send a courier. I'm not keen on that, would rather he saw it. In the meantime 2 more people are interested . . .

Telling you this because I put the dreaded 'Tax Return' back into the dining room. So, that's one step backwards and, as I said, gawd help me because I won't get it done tomorrow because it's the hairdressers and possibly town.
  • @Uff It's a shame that Tax Return doesn't actually translate as Returning Tax ( to you ).
    I can remember the same feeling of dread when the time came around so I'll wish you Good Luck - tho the trip to the hair salon sounds far more exciting   :D

• LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,141
    Snap @Uff ,

I've also got a tax query to sort out ..... it's been going on for about three years now and I've still not got round to it. Thing is, they owe me money, so you think I'd be motivated.
    The thing that's putting me off is that the query I have can't be solved online .... so I'll have to ring them  :#
    The thought of all of that muzak and umpteen buttons to press before getting a human is just too much.

I'm very familiar with your pain @Bee_witched. I recently had an issue where HMRC had done three things wrong, one after the other in different areas of my tax.

They engaged in deliberate deception to cover up their manual inputting errors in the tax on my savings. Unfortunately for them, when I exposed this deception to the Government Adjudicator with absolute proof of their deceit, they had nowhere to hide. This was after spending months phoning, then raising a complaint with HMRC at level 1 and then weeks later at level 2, and getting nowhere. They had tried to blame a particular building society for sending them wrong data but a detailed time-line saved on my computer and backed up by the BSoc's audit trail put that to bed. 

So much for an apology. I got a computer-generated letter showing the HMRC Director's name (but not signed by him) and £100 compensation for months of worry & aggravation  :/  

Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • Sometimes. Maybe.
    Obviously wealthy folk on here if they have to fill in tax returns.  :)
    Sunny Dundee
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,024
    S'truth, I wish I'd known that @LunarSea. When my husband died I had his 'Tax Return' to do also and bearing in mind I'd never done one (finances were his forte) I got myself into a right old muck sweat even logging into the account. I was terrified that I might do something wrong and be sent to clink at worst or be given a huge fine at best. I had several conversations with HMRC, I completed the return and asked for a confirmation letter that all was correct when it was entered. This they did. However, about 6 months later they sent me a demand for £50 as they had under quoted. The air was blue but I paid it. 

I know how you feel @Bee witched. I live in dread that I have to pick the phone up to them.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,849
    I've got an audio book on procrastination to listen to but keep putting it off :#
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people