Forum home Wildlife gardening

If so, I had only one wish

We were so full of hope for the days that gave us a 5 day break from everyday life. The weekend before Christmas, whatever had happened with her when we were just out, but our cat suddenly deteriorated visibly. She was already diagnosed with issues in November, but after a change of the food and new medication, it turned to the better. She is now 14 and you can't expect miracles from a granny.
After she wasn't able to go to the loo for 5 days and refused to drink, we were told on Friday that we would have to put her to sleep by tomorrow. What an awful Christmas message.
Out of pure desperation, she got lots of prawns, which she loves, in water. She had to drink first the water to reach the prawns. We played with her to keep her moving. Seeing how she enjoyed it, there was so much life in her.
On Christmas Eve, I dug a grave opposite where the bird bath is. No, I did not enjoy digging. The garden felt empty and had lost all magic. Since she lives with us, we have always been together in the garden. She has always loved it when I dig and plant.
We drove her daily in the car which normally always relieves her. On Christmas Day at 6 in the morning, we drove for an hour in a circle in our 20 mile zone with speed bumps every 20 meters.
With each drive, a little bit worked its way out. Yesterday, she made the first own poo in the garden. It was a real Christmas present, we were so happy.
I stood in the garden, and said, please, please, make it to Spring time. I want to show you the new garden when I will have planted the wild-life plants. I want that you see the bees and birds and have your nap under the herb trog as you always have done.

Sorry for being sentimental, but she means a lot to me. Sounds silly, I know, but it is what it is.

I my garden.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,465
    It isn't silly. Best wishes to you <3
  • CatDouchCatDouch South Devon Posts: 172
    Fingers crossed for your beautiful cat and for you @Simone_in_Wiltshire 🙏 Pets give us unlimited joy and love and the world would be a much poorer place without them.
  • CrankyYankeeCrankyYankee New England, USAPosts: 140
    My cat is 16 and has been with me through so much, I can't imagine my life without her.  I know exactly how you feel, @Simone_in_Wiltshire - I just want her to have the best for as long as she is here.  I hope your beautiful cat has a few more naps in the garden in store.  <3<3
  • Simone_in_WiltshireSimone_in_Wiltshire WiltshirePosts: 556
    Thanks for all your support. We will see what the doctor says tomorrow. Yes, @didyw , that's what I said to the doctor, I made the mistake with my first cat 14 years ago that I waited too long. I will not do it again. Thanks goodness, we found a good doctor who understood what I meant to say.

I my garden.

• LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,156
    I know exactly how you feel Simone. We've said goodbye to several cats and it's always been painful. Murphy, our current cat, makes home home. We always look forward to coming back to him if we've been out, and especially when we return from our hols. I'm going to be a complete mess when it's his time.
    Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • It's always hard - you just have to try and remember that your pet can't make that final decision - only you can do that.  Doesn't always help but you have the final say and you do what's best. Best wishes anyway.      
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,326
    Better a week to soon than a day too late. And yet. Our dog had a crisis this time last year. The vet managed to get her heart and lungs clear of fluid, sent her home and told us to spoil her and that we'd probably not have her a month. She died in August - 8 months later, having had many more days of sitting in the sunshine. I hope your cat is also able to beat the odds for a few more weeks, at least.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first”