Forum home Problem solving

When's the latest you can plant Autumn Bulbs

1sthomegarden1sthomegarden Manchester, UKPosts: 11
I'm sure the answer is in the title but I still have some Autumn (Spring flowering) bulbs  left which I didn't manage to plant in Autumn. So my question is when can I plant them out at the latest and what are the consequences of planting them late. Or is it now best to wait until next year and leave them in the shed?
TIA Matt

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877
    asap, they don't store, they shrivel up. But you can get away with very late planting, go for it, nothing to lose
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,291
    As Nutcutlet has mentioned ASAP , I've been planting like mad this week still got about 500+ to go . 
  • 1sthomegarden1sthomegarden Manchester, UKPosts: 11
    Great Thanks. Best get my bulb planter out this weekend 😊. Got about 30 left to do. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,577
    If they're small bulbs, soak them overnight or at least for an hour or two before planting.  Re-hydrating can help a lot with results of late planting.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Thanks for all the advice. Got my bulbs in on 29th December 👍. Let's hope the come up well in Spring 🙏
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,376
    edited 10 January
    Start thinking "when Is the earliest I can plant bulbs in autumn 2023".

Don't buy any more than you can cope with.

I can read a lot into your saying just "bulbs", rather than saying. daffodil, crocus, tulip...
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    Good shout. Though it's easy to get carried away 😊
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,714
    I do sometimes wonder how many people buy bulbs when they're reduced, look at the instructions and think it's OK to keep them in the shed until the next autumn. It's good that people ask, because there's next to no chance of them growing well (or at all) if kept for another season.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,165
    Indeed @JennyJ. That's when the forum is so useful  :)
    I'm sure I probably did it - especially when I didn't have much money for the garden, and was a real novice. The forum would have been a great asset back then.
    Bulbs are available in so many outlets too, so there's always going to be a surplus, and therefore lots of reduced ones.
    Perhaps another topic they could cover on gardening programmes?  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....