Forum home Wildlife gardening

More Hedgehog advice please

1945crewood1945crewood DerbyshirePosts: 149
I've been feeding hedgehogs for most of the year now but had given up hope that one would hibernate in the box. As I went to check the wildlife camera near the box this morning I noticed that a lot of leaves had been moved into the box's doorway and there were leaves inside and the bedding had all been rearranged.

Not sure now if I should put any food into the box or simply leave everything as it is? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
The evening sun touched gently on the eyes of Lucy Jordan.....
On the rooftop where she climbed when all the laughter grew to loud.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118
    I'd leave it. It looks as if you'll be lucky, and have one using the bed for hibernation, but when they hibernate depends largely on your local climate/conditions. It might be using it occasionally, or just checking out the suitability. Fingers crossed though  :)
    Even so - in mild spells they can wake and have something to eat. If you have a safe spot to leave food, you can do that, but check that it's actually being eaten- by the hogs, not the cats, which is what happens here  :|
    As you have a camera though - you can keep a close eye on who is going in and out  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• 1945crewood1945crewood DerbyshirePosts: 149
    Thanks for the help.

When I feed the hedgehogs I put the dry food inside the box away from the cats and the only other thing that gets at it is a field mouse who nips in rather furtively and steals the occasional biscuit.
    You're fortunate that cats don't get in. No matter what I do to deter them, they get into the hog house. Even with a convoluted, maze like entrance system. They're unbelievably persistent round here, and out at all times of day and night  :|

I hope you get a little resident - lovely to have them in the garden. At least the mice don't eat too much   ;)

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,009
    Excellent news @1945crewood :)
    As long as any visiting hedgehogs know where the food is, they will keep on visiting 🦔. 
    The only other thing l would say is to make sure there is a supply of fresh water available. 
    Indeed @AnniD - I should have said that about the water  :)
    In frozen conditions - especially if ground is frozen for more than  a few days, trays of water freeze very quickly. If you have a pond that has safe access, that will be fine unless you get long term icy conditions. 

• 1945crewood1945crewood DerbyshirePosts: 149
    There is water outside the box at all times. Thanks again for all the help and advice, really appreciated.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,633
    I have found putting food into the house didn't work for me, they tended to stay away or only visit. After making a separate feeding station,  I realised multiple hogs were visiting and the house was being used as a resting place. The following year two hogs took up residence in adjacent houses. It may take time, but if you persevere they will come @1945crewood   .😁