Forum home Plants

New Year wild plant hunt 31 Dec to 3 Jan

LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,050
I've just seen this as I follow BSBI (Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland) on Instagram. I've not done it before so can't tell you much about it, but thought it would appeal to some on here.
Details at https://nyph.bsbi.org/ 
'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877
    I've never done an organised count but always count what's in the garden including the wild ones (of which I grow many)
    I fear it will be low this year, a high count needs a less freezing lead in time

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    💡 Mustn’t forget our annual New Years Day flower count @nutcutlet   👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198
    It would certainly depend on the weather, but I've never noticed anything much round here that's in flower during January. Too early for celandines or anything like that - we're later for those even in warmer winters.
    Maybe last year there could have been a few things at the end of January, because we didn't have a winter, but it would only be things like dandelions I expect. 

I'll take a better look though when the time comes   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    I've usually got some chickweed in flower for the NYD count ... if I'm very lucky there'll be some red dead nettle too ... 😂
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877
    Never forgotten but few flowers and a sadly small party this year as the usual participants on holiday
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,708

Quite right, @Dovefromabove Here's the link to FLOWER COUNT 2023.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).