Forum home Problem solving

Box Hedge

Hi

I can’t identify that disease on the box hedges as the leaf damage doesn’t seem to be like any photos on the net. 

The hedge looks like it’s got cob webs all over it. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,054
    edited December 2022
    @Cormorin Hi and welcome. As soon as you mentioned cobwebs my immediate thought was Box Caterpillar? Box blight is another problem. Sadly many people have stopped growing Box because of both of these problems
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,965
    It certainly looks like that @GardenerSuze
    If you're in the south of the UK @Cormorin, it's become almost impossible to grow box successfully. Many people are taking it out and replacing it with something more reliable.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you both. The hedging on all the other houses in this area (Fleet, Hampshire) have died over last few years, I was hoping there might be a way to save mine but it may be I have to put something else in 
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,054
    @Cormorin You could consider Euonymous Green Pillar which some gardeners are growing instead. No good however if you want a sphere, available at most GC's and nurseries. Price varies depending on size they can be clipped as necessary, this is the closest you will find to box in growth habit.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,575
    That is box moth / caterpillar damage.

I've removed most of the box in my garden. One hedge in particular (dwarf box) was always affected by blight during warm & damp spells and when the moth / caterpillar moved in it was the final straw and out it came.

The hedge was replaced with yew but it will be tightly clipped pyramids rather than a hedge.

I do have some box balls and another short hedge formed from a different variety of box and from a different supplier which (touch wood....) seem to be much more resistant to both blight and caterpillar - so they are still here.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    Some of the Pittosporums are a good substitute for Box, although the foliage colour/size/shape is different. It can be clipped into balls/domes/pyramids.

We have Euonymus Green Spire in our garden, but leave it to follow it's natural, columnar shape. People often think it is Box, however it is not so good for clipping into a specific shape.