Forum home The potting shed

The far North West.

Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 850
edited December 2022 in The potting shed
Watching the weather forecast for xmas day, the BBC said there could be snow in the far North West of Scotland.
If 'weather' is happening near Dover, they never report it as happening in the far South East of England..
Why?
Sunny Dundee

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,042
    I don't know @Balgay.Hill. Strange. I wonder if it's perceived that the 'Far North West' has more interesting weather. It's probably true actually. 

I know where you live but what is the area called? As you can see I live in the south west and it's usually called that on the weather TV or news but it's Dumfries and Galloway really. 
  • I live in South Lancs. Almost always referred to as the North. Carlisle or Newcastle is the north....I'm in the middle.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,706
    I live in Doncaster and lots of people seem to think we're in "the North". Nowhere near, really, but I suppose it's all relative.
  • Do people in Scotland refer to Newcastle upon Tyne as being in the far South.
  • WhiteRabbitWhiteRabbit Posts: 24
    edited December 2022
    😁
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,042
    Do people in Scotland refer to Newcastle upon Tyne as being in the far South.
    I'm English but an adopted Scot living in the south west of Scotland but think of Newcastle on Tyne as being in in the north east - of England. Still with me?  :D
  • Red mapleRed maple YorkshirePosts: 572
    @JennyJ, yes we are definitely considered to be “in the North”.
    The road signs on the motorways always amuse me saying “The North” or “The South”. Just where are these elusive places? 😂😂
  • Wild_VioletWild_Violet ScotlandPosts: 137
    I imagine it’s to differentiate between the far north west of Scotland as opposed to the far north west of England.  
    Having always lived in Scotland, I always assume UK weather forecasters are talking about England if they don’t include a specific reference to Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. 
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,159
    edited December 2022
    I'm reminded of one of the bands in the 1970's Canterbury progressive scene - the tongue-in-cheek named Hatfield And The North  - after a sign on the A1 when leaving London (now re-signed as 'The North, HATFIELD') :) 
    Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • I'm solidly in the South, opposite the Isle of Wight. Sometimes we're called South West and sometimes South East, depends where they draw the line.
    Southampton