Forum home Plants

GALANTHUS 'LODE STAR'

GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,134
edited December 2022 in Plants
Just been out in the garden, I love it at this time of the year when the early morning light is mellow. I have spent many years improving it's structure for the winter months. I had been concerned about the snowdrops due to the dry spring and summer but all is well. Spring is out there, a reminder that gardening is just as important for mental health in the winter months.

One snowdrop that I love to seek out is Galanthus 'Lode Star' a gift to me from a well known, much loved local gardener. She loved to post snowdrops to friends as a swap. I helped to send them the length and breadth of the country in little 'brown packages tied up with string'.

My dear friend had also set up a local gardening club, after her death Fergus Garrett came to give a talk. I gave him a small pot of G 'Lode Star'  which he kindly planted at Great Dixter in her memory.

Sharing plants  and garden knowledge is a vital part of gardening. Thankyou to all my gardening friends who have helped me and so many others in the past year.

Happy Christmas to you all.Suze

The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,542
    edited December 2022
    Thank you @GardenerSuze. Happy Christmas to you.

The first snowdrop to flower in my garden is usually 'Woronowii,' sometimes before Christmas but it is only just showing through the soil today. Think they'll all be late this year.
  • I usually have snowdrops in flower around now, but nothing showing yet this year.
    Sunny Dundee
  • Not come across Galanthus 'Lode Star'

A joy to me is the early flowering snowdrops.
    eg Galanthus Three Ships.
    Named after the Christmas Carol...I saw 3 ships come sailing by etc.
    This year it was flowering at end November.
    One bulb bought a few years ago is slowly clumping up.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,590
    What a lovely greeting - thank you

I send a very Merry Christmas to you and yours too @GardenerSuze and to all my GW friends.

I have quite a few snowdrops in my garden. None are showing yet. I have no idea what they are - they were either inherited with the garden or are donations from various friends. They will be a cheering sight in a month or so.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,134
    edited December 2022
    @Silver surfer I think I had my friend as well as Christmas in mind today as I searched for Galanthus Lode Star.
    Fergus Garrett did ask me if it originated from Anglesey Abbey in the village of Lode which it does. He kindly showed a slide of the area of garden at Great Dixter where it would be planted.  It is slow to bulk up but it hasn't let me down yet. I am not a Galanthophile but interestingly I have heard someone mention G Three Ships so your photos are lovely to see.

@Lizzie27 I do grow G ikariae which I think is similiar to G woronowii Well worth seeking out. Not showing in my garden as yet normally it is after Christmas.

@Topbird Lets hope for more spring and summer rain next year. All gardens have been a challenge but very difficult for you in the south east. 

@Balgay.Hill I used to grow G reginae-olgae it flowered ever Autumn but one year it just disappeared  I have never known why but I did find out later that it likes more sun than most snowdrops.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,542
    edited December 2022
    My Galanthus Woronowii earlier this year. It's quite a large tall snowdrop with big leaves. 

@Silver surfer, your Three Ships snowdrop is absolutely stunning, one for my list!
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,134
    The leaves do make this snowdrop very distinctive @Lizzie27
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,376
    edited December 2022
    Bulking-up is my main criterion for snowdrops.  Price is also relevant.  When I have got the main area filled, I can start to add earlies, lates and fancies (not yellows).  Now if my parents had started ...

What I am seeking is a variety I can smell wiyhout getting down-and-dirty.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    In a large garden lifting and splitting snowdrops is the best way to get them to bulk up.
    I much prefer to see a large planting of G Nivals rather than a study of tiny fancies.
    Yellow snowdrops such as G Wendy's Gold are difficult to keep going anyway, often best in a trough where you can keep an eye on them if you are keen to grow them.
  • Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,150
    edited December 2022
    Lizzie27 said:
    My Galanthus Woronowii earlier this year. It's quite a large tall snowdrop with big leaves. 

@Silver surfer, your Three Ships snowdrop is absolutely stunning, one for my list!
    I struggle to id many snowdrops.
    But I can id Galanthus Woronowii ..unlike many snowdrops it has shiny, bright, green, rather fat  leaves...see pics below
    Very different from the blue shade on others Galanthus sp.
    It flowered for me in wales in Feb and in Scotland March..not an early flowerer
    I am not convinced your pic shows Galanthus Woronowii .

https://carolynsshadegardens.com/tag/galanthus-woronowii/

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .