Forum home Plants

Dying spider plant

Sounds silly, butSounds silly, but I’m a bit upset because mummy spider is deteriorating. A few days ago I moved her from the north facing windowsill to get away from the light and watered, I couldn’t remember the last time I watered.  She is now in our hallway because I had one of her babies in there which was doing really well so I thought that may be a good place.

I’ve been able to see her roots for awhile, but thought that she would be happy like that. But now I’m wondering is that the problem does she need more Space?

to my horror she looks worse today

• UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 3,044
    If it were mine I'd repot it and trim the dead leaves off and then I'm sure it will pick up if you don't forget to water it. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,885
    Is it sat on top of a radiator? I'm confused why you've moved it away from the light too?
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • RoseVillaRoseVilla Posts: 22
    edited December 2022
    Is it sat on top of a radiator? I'm confused why you've moved it away from the light too?
    The radiator is not on an online it says spider plants do not like direct light. We do have a window in our hallway so there is light
  • CrankyYankeeCrankyYankee New England, USAPosts: 141
    I have a spider plant that was gifted to me in 1992 and I think I've repotted it twice, maybe three times in 30 years?  I'm terrible!  I just pick the dead leaves off and give it a good feeding and it will usually perk up.  Mine is next to a window, out of direct light, too.  
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,161
    Spider plants bleach if kept in sunlight and are better with a bit of shade. They can go for ages without water in the cooler season because they have thick fleshy roots. However they usually respond well to a feed, half-strength at this time of the year.
    Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • McRazzMcRazz Posts: 144
    If you're really concerned I'd remove all of the clones and repot the parent plant. It'll soon sprout new ones. 

Its also winter and many houseplants don't look their best with the inconsistent heat and low light levels that come with this season. 

Don't give in to the temptation of over watering. I've killed LOADS of houseplants that I've been concerned about by Worry-Watering

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,472
    Stick it in the bathroom and don't water a lot through the winter.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,885
    They don't like direct sunlight for too long but mine thrive in the greenhouse in summer with a bit of shade. A lot of websites say plants don't like direct light when they actually mean direct sun. Consistency is also important with plants. If you take it from a nice bright spot and put it somewhere darker it can stress them. This is especially true in winter when it's usually better to move plants closer to windows as long as they don't get too cold.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Arthur1Arthur1 Posts: 533
    I would put it back in a north or east window. That sort of indirect light is ideal for them. Water about once a month in winter . Replace parent plant with one of her babies if she starts to look tatty. Feed in spring. I grow them outdoors in full sun in summer and they love it.
  • Thankyou all. I’ve cut off all her babies and repotted in a slightly bigger pot and put her back in my north facing window.