Forum home Plants

Seed starting - what are you planning for 2023?

CrankyYankeeCrankyYankee New England, USAPosts: 140
I've always tried to start a few tomato plants from seed, but last year I purchased grow lights and racks and really invested in seed starting.  I started a variety of vegetables, herbs, and flowers from seed.  Some things flourished, some failed miserably.

What are you planning to start from seed for the 2023 growing season?  What are some of your best tips and advice for people like me who are fairly new to this process?  Is there something you've always wanted to start, but never got around to?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,863
    I've still got plenty of seed from the last few years.
    I'd run out of Shirley and Rosella tomato seed and that's all I needed, but then you start looking...

QuantityItemDiscountCost
    1Tomato Cherry Rosella - 15£0.00£0.99
    1Italian Courgette Tondo Chiaro Di Nizza - 35£0.00£0.99
    1Tomato Shirley F1 - 15£0.00£1.59
    1MARIGOLD DWARF FRENCH - DURANGO FLAME - 0.2GM - 0.2gm£0.01£0.83
    1SCHIZANTHUS - ANGEL WINGS MIX - 3.5gm£0.01£0.83
    1Ornamental Grass Squirrel Grass 0.6gm£0.01£0.83
    1Beetroot Boltardy - 1500£0.00£0.99
    1Vegetables - CAPE GOOSEBERRY (PHYSALIS PERUVIANA) - 0.3gm£0.00£1.09
    1Dahlia - Bishops Children - 40£0.00£0.91
    1Zinnia Aztec Burgundy Bi-Colour 1 gm£0.00£0.91

Total:
    £9.97  

Shipping:

Discount:
    £0.03  

VAT:
    £1.01  

Total Value:
    £11.69

Just ordered from Premier Seeds Direct - far cheaper then T&M / Mr Fothergill and a lot more seed in a packet.

I've never tried growing Cape Gooseberry (physalis) before, so I thought I'd give that ago after reading a thread on the forum a few weeks ago.

I looked up the best tasting courgette, and one that was on most lists was the one above, and with such a lovely name I couldn't resist :)

The squirrel grass looks nice, but I'm not 100% sure about planting that as I don't' want a garden full of the stuff.

I'll start tomatoes, peppers and chili in late Feb and the rest during March/April.
    I have a heated propagator in an unheated greenhouse, but no light.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • CrankyYankeeCrankyYankee New England, USAPosts: 140
    I've never heard of squirrel grass and had to look it up - I love it!  You'll have to post photos of it as it grows. :)

I have to be careful, because we can't usually plant out until the last week of May and I don't have a greenhouse.  I tend to get things going much too early and end up with ridiculously leggy plants by the time it's safe for them to go out.

edited December 2022
      I tend to get things going much too early and end up with ridiculously leggy plants by the time it's safe for them to go out.

I tried that method too for a few years when I first got my greenhouse :) but eventually got my urges under control

Around the end of May/early June is usually when it's safe to plant out here too.
    I usually pick my first tomato in the greenhouse around beginning of July and the first cucumber at the beginning of June

I'll sow a few squirrel grass seeds and see how they come on
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,564
    Please be aware that the tufts on that squirrel grass (barley family) can be dangerous for dogs and many other animals.  The awns which facilitate seed dispersal can invade them thru the eyes, skin, all orifices and do serious damage.

https://ecclectica.brandonu.ca/issues/2004/1/smith.html

I received some heat mats for my birthday last month so I'll be sowing tomatoes and chillies in February.  They'll have to be indoors as there's no leccy in the polytunnel but they'll have light and should be safe to grow on in there by mid March and get full light.

Later on, other seeds to sow are saved squashes such as uthciki kuri and black forest and some PSB and pink onions.  i'm keen to grow more interesting varieties of basil too.

For the ornamental garden I'll be sowing perennials that can withstand drought and some wild flowers for a new pollinators bed I'm planning between the 3 new apple trees. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Cheers @Obelixx - I may just try a few at the back of a couple of borders then - she knows she's not allowed on the borders once they're planted up - bless her.
    I was going to put them in the w/l area, but doesn't sound like a good idea.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,564
    I love the look of that grass @Pete.8 but with two dogs and 2 cats who have free range of the garden and 2 hens in the potager I don't think I can risk it.  We also have horses next door and cattle on the other 3 sides.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,744
    I have often admired that grass but was unaware of the danger to animals described in your link @Obelixx.  Sounds really awful, it should be banned from domestic gardens.  There is no mention of this danger by any of the major respected online retailers I have just looked at, there really should be!

I don’t have a greenhouse @CrankyYankee but will be growing sweet peas from seed next year to give a much needed colour boost, plus scent.  I will sow them indoors to start them off, but not too early though, to avoid those leggy seedlings you mentioned! 
  • I've only been seed sowing for a few years but thoroughly obsessed - I've already got four different kinds of sweet peas, four different kinds of poppies and some foxgloves that I sowed in September and am over wintering in the greenhouse. Still trying to decide what to grow in spring. I've failed equally as much as I've suceeded but I try not to let it bother me and just learn for next time!

@Pete.8 you're very close to me and I was interested to hear you don't plant out until end of May/early June. I think part of my problem is I always worry I've left things too late: I think I tend to pot on before they're ready / plant out before they're ready etc etc

Growing things from seed has to be my favourite part of gardening. @CrankyYankee I bet you'll be wanting a greenhouse soon  ;) 
  • I've bought a few Cacti this year, so i might have a go at growing some from seed next year.
    Sunny Dundee

@Pete.8 you're very close to me and I was interested to hear you don't plant out until end of May/early June. I think part of my problem is I always worry I've left things too late: I think I tend to pot on before they're ready / plant out before they're ready etc etc

I think idleness on my part is partially to blame! :) but in years gone by I've been caught out by a late frost, so now I pay safe.

Years ago my borders had very little in them so I'd grow lots from seed each year.
    Over the years I've built-up a collection of perennials, so I only sow a few trays of flowering plants now to fill in the gaps and provide something a bit different.