Forum home Plants

Advice on Astroneria.

GraysGrays Posts: 133
Hi all,
After the recent heavy snow has melted, my astromeria plants are looking a bit sorry for themselves.
Is now the right time to prune them? If so,how far would you recommend to cut them back?
Thanks.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976
    You can remove all the dead foliage if you want. Or just leave it, it will wither up and there will be very little of it left in a month or two.
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    Not all alstroemerias are hardy, is there anywhere you can put the pots under cover to dry them off a bit and ideally keep them protected from future snow/hard frosts? Tucked against a south-facing wall or unheated greenhouse or shed? I have had some in the ground that went a similarly sodden mess after frost. I snipped off all the rotting leaves, let the crown dry a little then piled some straw on top. I thought I had lost them but they re-sprouted in the spring.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    I would leave the dead stuff to protect the crown and move them somewhere a bit more sheltered.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,451
    I think you must mean Alstroemeria. Mine is in the ground, in a border. It went soggy like that in the frost but grew in the spring. We had a late May frost and all the new growth died but it grew back and flowered beautifully until November. It is the variety "Indian Summer". I think some are hardier than others.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • GraysGrays Posts: 133
    Please excuse my spelling mistakes..... :#
    They are actually in quite a sheltered space now on a sunken patio and they are against a southerly facing wall.
    So the common consensus would be to just leave them as they are? would a little tidy up do them any damage?
    Thanks.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    The dead growth is protecting the crown from further damage, if the weather is cold.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,451
    You could remove all the soggy bits, may attract slugs, and cover them with horticultural fleece.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    I would also remove all the sodden foliage, not sure it will do the crown any good if it weather continues to be wet - then protect the crown with some dry, insulating material. Depends where you are located and the forecast. If it’s due to be dry for a few days, it’s probably fine to leave the foliage on, but whichever option you choose I would still move the pots under more shelter from the elements.
  • GraysGrays Posts: 133
    Seems a daft question....... but could you put them in a garage?
    Surely they still need sunlight?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,875
    Grays said:
    Seems a daft question....... but could you put them in a garage?
    Surely they still need sunlight?
    no sunlight needed until the leaves reappear, the garage would be good as long as it's cool