Forum home Fruit & veg

Which Veg to Grow?

februarysgirlfebruarysgirl LeicesterPosts: 604
I've bought myself some of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09QXPQTH3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 as I want to have a go at growing veg but am very limited on available space. I have no idea about succession planting and what the best things to grow would be (other than potatoes). Our palates aren't the largest, definite noes are sprouts, parsnips and swede and I want to avoid things that only one of us likes such as cabbage and radish. The containers will be positioned on our south facing patio, what suggestions do people have? I'm hoping to get it started in the new year.

• CrankyYankeeCrankyYankee New England, USAPosts: 140
    I've grown all kinds of different vegetables in containers; the possibilities are endless.  I even grew corn in pots last summer!  Some other things I've grown in pots were tomatoes, squash, strawberries, herbs, beans, leaf lettuce...you just need to not overplant the container and provide supports for vining or taller produce.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,247
    februarysgirl  'Containers' is a bit inexact?  A big one could accommodate a tripod of runner beans.  A succession of smaller ones will produce lettuces and other salad crops.  A large shallow tray with dozens of yoghurt pots might see you more or less self sufficient in onions.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,863
    Dwarf French beans produce huge amounts of beans over a long period if that's something you like.
    I sow 3-4 seeds in May, and again in June and sometimes again in July. 
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • CrankyYankeeCrankyYankee New England, USAPosts: 140
    You could also try a rotation planting - like sugar snap peas in early spring, then when they're done pop a few broccoli plants in the container. 
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 1,575
    If the bags are going to be against a nice south facing wall I would go for one cherry tomato in one of them, and possibly some sugarsnap peas or runner beans in the other.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,086
    They don't seem very big. 25 x25 cm. I'm wondering how that can possibly be 10 gallon capacity. A standard builder's bucket is 3 gallons  :/
    I don't think there's a lot of room in them for very much - strawberries, as said, or a single tomato. Lettuce crops, or herbs. A small amount of carrots.
    It also depends on what you like eating.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• februarysgirlfebruarysgirl LeicesterPosts: 604
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

@Fairygirl Will have to see what the bags look like filled, hopefully there'll be some give in the fabric. To be truthful, we aren't at all adventurous when it comes to veg 😂 Potatoes are a definite and carrots would be fine. Ideally I'd like some broccoli, I'm not wild about it cooked but my uncle used grow it and I'd eat it raw off the plant (got shouted at for that 🤭). Salad's good but we don't use herbs at all. Fortunately there's only the two of us so we definitely don't need vast quantities of anything! Might take a look into what dwarf veg there are.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,220
    In those I would grow early potatoes in one, a few dwarf french beans, and if you have another then a bush-type cherry tomato plant.  All three are relatively uncomplicated for a beginner to veg growing and should be quite happy in the situation you describe. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,863
    A few years ago I had an old bucket that I made drainage holes in.
    I had 1/2 bag spare multipurpose compost and some Flyaway Carrot seed.
    The carrots were huge, long and very good - and the ferny foliage looked good too.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,086
    I grow rocket, which is easy too, and will grow anywhere. I tried Mizuna this year, but it didn't taste of anything. That might just be me though!
    I tend to use pots for herbs, but things like chives might suit you, and they're not too fussy. If you like peas/beans, you could try mange tout. I've grown them in pots, and I used to put three in a pot of about 15 to 18 inches diameter. They were fine in that. You could easily have one or two in those, I reckon. Carrots will be fine  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....