Forum home Plants

Mystery plant.

I have a mystery plant which was nothing but a stick ! But now looks pretty good I just need a name for it.
Keep up the good work Merry Christmas Tony.

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,134
    @tony williams2 Maybe an Echeveria not something I grow. I have looked after them in a greenhouse before. I wouldn't water it until spring let it dry out.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Thanks for that. I was told it was rose of the desert , but can't trace it.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,455
    It isn't a desert rose cactus, that looks more like a little tree with a trunk, but I don't know what it is.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,977
    Looks like an indoor type sedum, something like Sedum morganianum. 
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,163
    Possibly Graptopetalum, one of the Crassulas.
    Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,708
    Looks similar to Echeveria derenbergii – Painted Lady Succulent (especially pic #2, mature plant, egg-shaped)

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,134
    @tony williams2 This is still a puzzle to me just studied an Echeveria today and the leaves are more flat also there is a tip at the end of each leaf. Perhaps they vary? I find all succulents and cacti difficult. Not entirely sure you have a complete answer always important to get a correct ID so that any future plants that are taken from it are also correctly named.
    I think the worst thing is to just take a guess better it remains a mystery.

The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,197
    @wild edges grows a lot of succulents/echeverias etc. He might be able to help. It's a massive group of plants  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,889
    It's not one I recognise but there are so many hybrids around now that it could be anything really. My wild guess would be a pachyveria of some kind https://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?akID=147&aaID=2 When it flowers you'll know more.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people