Forum home Garden design

Landscaping work in January?

Hello there

I recently had a landscaping company out to discuss a lot of work needing done in my garden: fencing; repairing a retaining wall; removal of trees; driveway; gravelling and slabbing front garden.  He says that he is available mid-January and he is provisionally booked in for then, but now I'm concerned that this may not be the best time of year to have the work done, especially as I'll be spending a bit of money on it.  Would you advise that I put off till nearer springtime?

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,707
    I don't see why the hard landscaping shouldn't be done in January as long as the weather's OK. Hold off any planting (except bare-root trees/shrubs) until spring.
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,591
    I've got someone booked in for early January to cut the hedges and trim back a climbing rose and shape a box shrub.  Work I should have done myself this autumn but never found time for.  I hope the weather allows this, as to leave it much later means we get into nesting season.  I don't sea any reason why the work you describe shouldn't be done in January - provided we are not all under a foot of snow!
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    I had some hard landscaping done in January a couple of years ago.  The landscaper said he preferred working then as it was less likely to be as wet as Spring.  If the weather forecast looks OK, and it's not too cold for any cement or mortar to dry successfully, I'd go ahead.  
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,275
    As has been said, with the proviso that laying of cement/mortar,/bricks etc and planting  shouldn't be done in frosty weather, January would be a perfectly fine time to do the work you describe.   I'd have no hesitation in going ahead.  

It would be lovely to see some pics of the work when it's done.  We love a project  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• McRazzMcRazz Posts: 144
    We often get asked this by clients but actually winter is a great time for hard landscaping AND planting. 

However, as Dove says you can't lay paving/bricks below 5c. 

Also, on the subject of planting, it may seem nice setting out and planting up a garden during the warmer months but its totally the wrong time to do it - much better to get those dormant plants in during the winter as long as the site is prepared correctly. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    As so often is the case - it depends where you live, and also what exactly you're having done. It would be quite difficult here in an average winter, and certainly if it's much further north than me. Doing a fence or wall, and removal of trees might be fine.

Frozen ground makes it very difficult for something like a driveway or paving, but so does very wet ground. The mess created by machinery would impact the soil condition too, so you'd have to  wait until it was favourable enough to get into a good state for planting. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Many thanks for all your comments.

@Fairygirl I live just outside Glasgow.  My concern is that either the cold or wet will make the conditions suboptimal or problematic.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148
    Ah - you could have done it up until a couple of weeks ago, but from now onwards, it could be hit and miss. Our coldest weather tends to come after the new year, so there could be almost anything happening. We can't assume this winter will be like last year!

As I said though - it largely depends on exactly what you're having done. I had to have the gable end of the house re rendered a few years ago - in January.  The lawn was wrecked [ and took quite a while to sort] just from the footfall, and it wasn't even that much footfall   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,551
    Sometimes you just can’t get an optimal time and trying to second-guess the weather is pretty pointless. If you don’t grab this window he may well be fully booked later in the year, so perhaps check that first? If, on the days leading up to your slot, the weather makes it unwise to attempt certain works such as paving, at least he might be able to make a start on some stuff and hopefully juggle his schedule to come back and finish off in more clement weather.