Forum home Problem solving

Aeonium in this very cold weather

My large aeonium has been in the greenhouse for a while.  The greenhouse is insulated and has been heated in this very cold weather, although the nighttime temperature has still been just below zero or near it.  I have also draped fleece over the aeonium.  Despite this, its leaves are very droopy/floppy and I am worried about it.  Will it recover?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,019
    Impossible to be sure, but if it is kept bone dry, it might survive. Personally I bring mine indoors.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Arthur1Arthur1 Posts: 528
    Agree with punkdok, keep as dry as possible and it might cope with minimal frost.
  • izzy8izzy8 Posts: 147
    Mine usually survive the winter in a cold greenhouse but this year are looking floppy. I will cut them back early next year if they don't recover and hope they spring back from lower down
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    My largest one is looking terrible after this cold snap. They're normally fine in the greenhouse over winter with no heat but this has been exceptionally cold. I've also lost a hardy cactus and some other plants too :| 
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • Ours are in the conservatory, unheated, and it has been very cold for many days. They too are floppy but we can't water as it is too cold. We hope like others that they will survive. One has developed a flower spike but whether the flowers will open we aren't sure now with all this cold.
  • BraidmanBraidman Sunny QuedgeleyPosts: 266
    Mine do not cope with very cold weather, in the past I have lost those which I have not moved into the garage window, the central heating boiler is in the garage!
    I found the following on the net!
    Aeoniums cannot cope with frost but they can cope with low winter temperatures as long as their compost is not wet – try not to let them go lower than 5°C.1 Apr 2021

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,932
    Wet cold - as with many plants, will see them off very quickly, but they need to be indoors here for them to survive, as @punkdoc says. 
    Keeping them dry and frost free early enough is the key, so always err on the cautious side.
    I forgot to bring mine in one year when I used to grow them. By early/mid October it was too late, due to frost. Depends on your location, as is always the case. 
    I keep thinking I'll get more, but I prefer plants which don't need cossetting  ;)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,271
    edited December 2022
    There are two types of problem on these pages:  those from innocent ignorants, and those from experience gardeners who know better.  This thread is 50/50.

Mea Culpa.  My Aeonium  has been moved to a cold greenhouse, its usual winter position.  I didn't expect this freeze to be as long or as hard.  I haven't visited the greenhouse recently and can't see from a distance, but fear the worst. 

What I have learnt:  cut back on plants that need more coddling than you can give them.  And that changes with advancing age.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,019
    I think you have missed a third type of problem/ problem poster.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Thanks everyone for your comments/suggestions.  It seems I am not alone.  Fingers crossed for all our aeoniums eh?