Forum home Tools and techniques

Experience of using a Tertill

I have a sister with several physical problems that limit what she can do in the garden.  She already uses robots to clean floors and mow lawns.  I was wondering if a Tertill might be of any use.  Has anyone actually tried one?  Thank is advance for any replies.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,183
    Never heard of them.

Are you in UK? They seem to be American.

And very expensive.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,095
    I also had to google it.

How does it work out what are weeds ... and what are plants you want to keep?
    Or is it just for clearing ground to get it ready for planting up?

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Yes, I am in the UK.  The do not sell direct over here, but they can be obtained.  They are designed by the same people as the floor cleaning robots my sister uses.  Has anyone any experience of using them?
  • As to how it works out what is a weed - basically anything small that has not been given a proctive collar.  So it is only useful for keeping on top of seedling weeds.  Which is what she needs, as every time she gets someone to do a major dig of her veg patch up the little blighters pop and in a trice they are trifids.  Has anyone any experience of using one?
    edited December 2022
    I would doubt it. I’ve never heard anybody mention them either on the forum here or anywhere else.

As Bee witched asks, are they for clearing ground and keeping it clear only? If not, how do they discriminate between weeds and other plants?
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,701
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    Well remembered, Papi Jo.

Not terribly well received, then. 😊
  • I found that discussion before I asked my question.  It seemed to consist of people giving an opinion based on the video and sales literature plus people stating that people who would be interested in it are 'not proper gardeners'.
    I asked my question in the hope that anybody with real first-hand knowledge would reply.  This is about helping a person with significant physical problems, who has to constrain her activity in order to manage pain, to continue to maintain her independence.  So what might seem a waste of time and money to an able-bodied person might not be to her.
    Which is why I am seeking people who have real experience of the device.  The other conversation did not include such people.
    Sorry if this sounds a bit grumpy or severe, but this is a serious question I am asking, not just idle chit chat.
    I can see that I am probably going to have to find a forum in the USA or Canada to get an answer.
    If the information I obtain suggests that it is worth getting the device, then I will post my sister's experiences of it on this forum.  Perhaps the 'not real gardeners'  will be interested as well as those with significan physical probelms.
    I wish you all the best with your search.🙂
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,598
    Maybe a better way forward would be to use pots to grow in? Much easier to keep on top of weeds and lots can be grown in them.