Forum home Problem solving

Unidentified Plant?

Could you help with the identification as I have no idea.Many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,263
    I think that's a very nice Ficus benjamina

https://www.thespruce.com/grow-weeping-fig-indoors-1902440

:) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,706
    I agree, very nice specimen.
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,366
    Nice.  But I don't like the yellowing on the leaves.  Chlorosis?  Too high a pH?

And is that a dehumidifier it is standing on?  I hope that was just for the pic.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,263
    That doesn’t look like chlorosis to me @bédé … much more like one of the many attractive variegated varieties of ficus
     … some have golden variegations, some creamy white. 

The OP’s ficus looks like one of the golden ones … standing on one of those plastic pet carrier boxes 😂 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,706
    Yes, a variegated variety,  they're supposed to be that colour, although I suppose not everyone likes it. I have a similar one. And a cat carrier, hopefully not being used as a cat bed/hidey-hole or the plant will take a tumble at some point.
  • Definitely a variegated ficus and the plant is standing on a window/door sill or the floor behind the pet carrier.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,574
    I've had one of these for almost 40 years and it is now 2m tall.   They need light but not direct sunlight in summer as it will burn the leaves and they need a good loam based soil and regular watering as they don't like to dry out.  Needless to say they don't like to be wet either.

I take mine outside for the summer once night time temps are reliably 10C+ and I keep it on a north facing terrace up against the house wall so it only gets direct sun at sunset in midsummer.   Once nights are cooler it comes back indoors and I turn it regularly to get even light from the window.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/7198/i-ficus-benjamina-i-variegata-(v)/details

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Belated thanks  for all your most helpful comments and especialy special thanks to Obelixx for such detailed care instructions. I had not imagined it was such a difficult plant to look after!