Forum home Plants

Pollarding a Catalpa - would you do this next year or wait a bit?

PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
I have a 10 year old Catalpa which has now grown to about 3m high and 2m wide.  It's got a good shape which provides some welcome screening but I'm wondering whether it may be time to pollard it for the first time next year.  I've read that the tree will become invigorated and produce larger leaves but I'm undecided and would appreciate the thoughts of other members who have done this to their tree.

I've also read that the best time to pollard a Catalpa is February and to cut all the branches back to the main trunk, each to a height of 10cm.  Does this seem right?  The photos below show the tree as it is and my potential cuts.  I'm worried that I might regret doing this and should give it another year or so!  I'd appreciate your thoughts.  Many thanks.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,022
    It would certainly tolerate it, and you would get larger leaves. However, in my own mind, I can't quite work out what shape it would be, and whether it would be pleasing.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848
    I think I would try and get a bit more height but it's lost its leading shoot which makes that tricky. I would consider removing the left hand of the two secondary branches and keeping the more upright one
  • bédébédé Surrey Hills, acid greensand.Posts: 1,294
    edited December 2022
    One thing about Catalpas is that after pruning the new shoots grow straight up.  When it has reached the right size (it has) do it.

I.m sure they have some Catalpas at Ness Gardens.  If not, have a look at pollarded willows.
    "Have nothing in your garden that you don't know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
  • If in doubt, don't! would be my advise. They do grow fast so try and imagine a foot or two on every branch tip, to see if you can wait another year.

I think whenever you do it you are going to have to determine which new shoots are going to provide the shape you want and remove the rest.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,964
    Pollarded Catalpa will be more of a dense, broadly ovoid shape with bigger leaves. It's more of a formal look but looks good IMO. I don't think it's a particularly judicious job, to start with you just lop off the trunk or branches at the desired height, and subsequently you cut back the resulting growth to 10cm of the original cut. 

• PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,733
    Thank you all very much for your helpful thoughts.  I think I'll leave it another year as it's currently blocking out my neighbour's view of my garden from below which is why I strategically placed it there! I'll see if it struggles again next year if we get more heat and another drought and review the situation again.  You've helped me reach this decision, thank you!