Forum home Wildlife gardening

BIG GARDEN BIRDWATCH 2023

You can now register online if you want to take part and they will send you all the information etc. I imagine it will be the last week in January 2023. Hope the weather won't be like it is now. 

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,048
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • CatDouchCatDouch South Devon Posts: 162
    For anyone interested in garden birds, the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) runs various projects, I report for the project Garden Birdwatch where once a week you report the numbers of birds in your garden.  It doesn’t take long and it’s quite interesting as all your records are kept so you can compare year on year, also it provides invaluable data as to trends in bird populations and how we can help.  
  • CrazybeeladyCrazybeelady WarwickshirePosts: 611
    My garden is always a bird free zone when this is on, I need it to be cold for them to want to come in! I've signed up anyway.
  • BraidmanBraidman Sunny QuedgeleyPosts: 266

We usually have lots of different birds in or passing through our garden, last year when my daughters decided to do a count they got zero, you could not make it up, as birds are not as clever as pandas!

• Fran IOMFran IOM Posts: 2,215
    Tomorrow is the first day of the Big Garden Bird Watch when all the birds who normally frequent our gardens will take a three day holiday. Think I will do mine on Sunday when the weather forecast is the better of the three days as I don't do mine in the comfort of my own home but have to do it from a somewhat cold shed. Maybe a hot water bottle and a flask of tea wouldn't go amiss. Here's hoping for some good results.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,845
    My garden has been rammed full of birds all week but we're due milder weather this weekend so they will no doubt bugger off and leave me trying to count sparrows again. 28, 29, wait was that one a dunnock? Damn. 1, 2...
    I've just chucked out the last of the apples to try and keep the song thrush interested but he's already looking like he has better places to be.
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
    It's been trying to snow here which has helped the count a bit. I couldn't do a full hour but in the time it took to make and drink a coffee I saw:
    23ish House Sparrows
    1 Blue tit
    3 Chaffinches
    3 Goldfinches
    1 Robin
    8 Blackbirds
    1 Coal tit
    1 Wood pigeon
    3 Carrion Crows
    1 Dunnock

No sign of some of the usual birds though so hopefully they'll turn up during the full hour tomorrow.
    I just took the dog for his walk and in the beech woods at the top of my street there must be 100-200 birds in a huge mixed flock. Apparently it's been a good year for beech mast so they're probably all there for that. I can hear siskins, chaffinches, bullfinches, goldfinches, nuthatches, lots of tits and all sorts in there. I'd love to set up the wildlife camera to film them all but there are too many naughty boys up in that part of the woods.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Rhondda ValleyPosts: 2,687
    This mornings count.
    2.      Robins
    10+   House Sparrows
    2.      Pairs of blackbirds
    1.      Pair Bullfinches
    6       Blue tits
    3.      Great tits
    8.      Gold finches
    1       Wood pigeon
    1       Magpie
    4.      Jackdaws

Not very exciting,but a couple of days ago we had a flock of Long Tailed Tits,which I haven't seen for years. 

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
    A bit better today:

20ish house sparrows
    2 blue tits
    2 great tits
    2 coal tits
    2 chaffinches
    2 greenfinches
    2 siskins
    2 robins
    5 blackbirds
    2 wood pigeons
    1 crow
    1 magpie
    2 dunnocks
    and a raven flew over but probably doesn't count.