Forum home Plants

Dawn redwood, always deciduous?

As above really. About ten years ago I grew some redwoods from seed and the seeds were labeled as dawn redwood. Fast forward a few years, after not really thinking about it much, I realised that my tree doesn't lose its foliage. I only kept one and it lives outside in the cold but even after this recent cold snap,  it's still green and happy. I have a giant redwood as well and a coastal redwood but the others have their young foliage, so I can't really compare.

• Metasequoia glyptostroboides ...common name Dawn redwood is deciduous and loses the needles.

Clear pics might help with an accurate id.
    Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850
    I think we need a photo of what you have got @thevictorian. I've had many packets of seed that differ from their label, not all suppliers are accurate
  • I'll try and get some pictures soon.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    Not really helping with the above post but be wary of where you plant the type-species ; exceptionally vigorous root system and very wide ranging . My own tree was beginning to lift my greenhouse foundations at a distance of nearly 40' away !!
    The cultivar 'Goldrush' has a far more staid manner of growth .
  • thevictorianthevictorian Posts: 722
    edited December 2022
    No problem with that @Paul B3 all of mine are in pots. We live in the city so I have had to bonsai them to a certain extent. I just grow deferent species as more interesting Christmas trees.
  • Fairly sure it's a coast redwood and was mislabelled somewhere along the way.

Not the best pictures because it was really dull this morning and my tablet camera is awful. 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    100%  Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) ; the underside of the leaves should have two white-bands clearly visible .