Forum home The potting shed

Grrrrrrrr….

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,204
10 days and still waiting.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,505
    That's really shocking Pansyface but it's probably going to happen a lot more times because of the aging pipes all round the country. What I can't fathom out is how the water got into the gas pipes?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,204
    It seems that a 50 year old asbestos/cement water main was running near to a 50 year old cast iron gas pipe. The water main burst, the gas pipe shattered…

I wonder how much bonus the bosses of Yorkshire Water and Cadent gas will award themselves in the coming year.
  • coccinellacoccinella Luxembourg Posts: 510
     :( 10 days seem the hell of a long time. Sorry, hope they connect you soon. 
    When down go out and buy a packet of seeds
  • didywdidyw East SuffolkPosts: 2,563
    Grrr indeed @pansyface.  And now you know much more about the pipework in your area than you would want to.  Waiting for similar here - Victorian pipework for water and sewage, no investment in testing and making it better.  Instead - trying to flog us insurance for the pipes that lead from our house to the main network.
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,150
    pansyface said:

I wonder how much bonus the bosses of Yorkshire Water and Cadent gas will award themselves in the coming year.

To be fair I don't think we can really blame Cadent if it was a water pipe that exploded. Although I'm sure there will be senior bods in Sheffield City Council who will also be expecting their usual huge bonus. Maybe those people who write documents such as this but then disappear into the woodwork when it actually happens.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/emergency-planning

There was someone on the radio the other day who said that, other than the Cadent engineer, the only other people who'd been to see them were The Red Cross!

Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,204
    There was a time when people would resign (or failing that get booted out) rather than pick up a bonus.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,179
    Apparently one of the teams renewing the gas pipes here in Norwich managed to dig through a water main the other day. The team working here were rolling their eyes and chuckling … 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,677
    I'm just grateful for small mercies - my parents' house isn't far from Malin Bridge, but they're not affected, luckily.
  • KT53KT53 GloucestershirePosts: 7,535
    The initial report I read said that the crew repairing the water main smashed the gas main and water then filled the gas main.  The gas main didn't spontaneously explode, at least not according to that report.  The problem now is that each property has to be visited once the gas main is repaired to ensure that no water remains in the system.
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,150
    KT53 said:
    The initial report I read said that the crew repairing the water main smashed the gas main and water then filled the gas main.  The gas main didn't spontaneously explode, at least not according to that report.  The problem now is that each property has to be visited once the gas main is repaired to ensure that no water remains in the system.

I'd heard that it was the water main that 'exploded' and because the gas main was very close, it got penetrated. I guess the full story will come out eventually.

Unfortunately it isn't just a matter of removing water from the pipes. Many homes have had to have their gas meters replaced and their boilers and/or gas appliances serviced or even replaced with new ones.
    Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth