Forum home Problem solving

Mealworm Feeders

Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,505
Can anybody recommend a good feeder for mealworms please? I need one preferably squirrel, magpie/pigeon and rat proof if any exists.
I have robins and wrens to feed.
Many thanks

• for your info wrens and robins dont like feeders,
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,138
    Wrens, robins and blackbirds are ground feeders,  they aren’t designed to feed from hanging feeders, we use these,
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unibos-Steel-Compact-Ground-Feeder/dp/B07YGTKLJJ/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=bird+ground+feeder+cage&qid=1670719747&sr=8-10

With similar to this over the top, you can bring the whole lot in at dusk to deter rats.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B01K7K2MGW/ref=acr_dpx_hist_5?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=five_star&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,169
    I use the cages to cover the ground feeders, all birds including blackbirds can get in but not dove size birds. I put out a separate uncovered one for the Jays etc. You can buy them on line.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041
    That's the easiest method @floralies. I've done that in the past.  :)
    I put some on a dish inside the cages I have- they're similar to bird cages you'd have indoors, but with mesh to allow small birds in.
    The robins can also access the hanging feeders in there because they can sit on the base - dunnocks too. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

They even keep the cats out! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,184
    floralies said:
    I use the cages to cover the ground feeders, all birds including blackbirds can get in but not dove size birds. 
    😢 no wonder I’m losing weight !!!
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• A robin regularly visits a hanging feeder in my garden.
    Sunny Dundee
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,505
    Thanks for your suggestions folks. I was of course aware that those birds are ground feeders, although the robins do use our hanging birdfeeders, they seem to have got used to the idea. I haven't bought mealworms before so wasn't sure what to use.

I think I'll stick to my original idea of putting an old upturned hanging basket over the mealworm dish on the ground (it's far cheaper than the Amazon one!) and see how they get on. 
    @Dovefromabove should have said the Collared type! 
  • Lizzie27 said:
    Can anybody recommend a good feeder for mealworms please? I need one preferably squirrel, magpie/pigeon and rat proof if any exists.
    I have robins and wrens to feed.
    Many thanks
    I have a feeder which you put onto the outside of your window using 4 suction pads. The robin certainly comes and feeds along with tits, I have never seen a wren feeding on it, but I thought wrens liked tiny creepy crawlies as they are always running around my pots and stone walls. It would be too small for blackbirds and do not think it would take the weight of squirrels. Positioned correctly rats could not reach it.