Forum home Plants

Laurel advice

Hi. Just hoping for some advice. I planted some bareroot laurels about 6 days ago. Quite a few of them seem droopy on the top. Just wondering if this is normal and they will perk up, or if this could be from over or under watering? 
Also I have read on other threads here to cut about a third off on planting. Is this on every stem or just the tallest ones to even it up? And should I do this now or wait until April time? Wasn't sure if trimming them now it's frosty could cause damage? Completely clueless as you can tell. 
Thanks

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    The tops have been frosted which causes the leaves to droop.
    Nothing of concern though.
    You can cut the tops off now if you like - or anytime over the winter period.
    It's up to you how much you cut off.
    Removing the tops will cause it to send out lots of side shoots lower down - exactly what you want if you're growing a hedge.
    I'd cut all the tallest tops back  so they're about the same height.
    As the other shoots grow next year, you can snip them off too to get more side shoots (you can do that at any time of the year).
    Laurel is so tough, you'll struggle to do it any damage.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,099
    Hi @Zippy87,

I agree with the advice from @Pete.8  .... the only thing I would add is it might be worth adding a mulch of some sort early spring as the soil is warming up.
    It will help conserve moisture, keep any weeds down, and - depending on the mulch - will feed the soil.

Good luck,
    Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    It may also be worth adding a mulch of organic material on top of your soil.  This will help to protect the roots from frost and cold over winter and retain moisture in the growing season, as well as supplying nutrients.
  • PlantmindedPlantminded Wirral (free draining sandy soil)Posts: 1,754
    Snap, @Bee witched!  As long as your soil is not yet frozen @Zippy87, the young roots on your bareroot plants may appreciate protection now, or later if the ground's already frozen!
  • Thanks @Pete.8 @Bee witched and @Plantminded for your replies, really helpful. There is actually a bit of composted bark in there, it's just hidden under a bit of top soil, but will add a bit more once the snow melts!