Forum home Plants

December flowering white camellia

We have a beautiful white flowering camellia in our garden and i am trying to identify which it may be/or find another white early/mid-winter flowering one as a gift for my nephew on the birth of his first son!  Any ideas or suggestions?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251
    It might be Camellia japonica ‘Alba Plena’ that you have.  I’ve not grown it and have no idea if it is reliably hardy all over the UK. 

Perhaps someone else will know …
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,108
    There are so many. Some hold on to the flowers as they go brown. Some drop the old flowers which to me looks alot better. You could post a photo you might be in luck.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867
    There's white one in a front garden I pass every day of the year when out with my dog.
    It usually flowers early in the year, but yesterday I noticed it was covered in opening blooms.
    Probably the result of an unseasonably warm autumn.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118
    The white ones don't do well up here, but you may have one of the sasanqua types. Some are tougher than others too.
    A photo would help though, as there are various varieties, single and double  :)
    Trehane is a well known nursery/supplier, so you may see something on their site that suits. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• My white sasanquana camellia, I also have a pale pink one, are in flower now. I bought mine from Trehane Nursery, excellent plants, and service. 
  • Thank you.  Do you happen to know the white one's name?
  • Fairygirl said:
    The white ones don't do well up here, but you may have one of the sasanqua types. Some are tougher than others too.
    A photo would help though, as there are various varieties, single and double  :)
    Trehane is a well known nursery/supplier, so you may see something on their site that suits. 
    Thank you - i don't necessarily need the exact one i currently have but thank you for your advice and the suggestion of buying through Trehane.
  • Sorry, the labels have disappeared.
    I chose mine because they are supposed to be scented. Mmmm! Perhaps the perfume should be described as elusive. The two white ones are a semi-double and a single. They have a slight, musky smell on a warm sunny day, undercover. The pink one has no smell at all.
    I will see if I can find my catalogue or go online to find their names. If they still stock them.

• sarahlucy
    Better to look and see what is available.
    Do you want a single simple white one?
    Or a double with many petals?
    Only you can decide.
    No point deciding which one someone else grows  only to find no one is still selling it.

This is a link to Treharne  Nursery showing the Camellias  they sell  for autumn flowering.

https://www.trehanenursery.co.uk/camellia_sasanqua_s/1826.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=1826&show=300&page=1

If you want to see species ones or spring flowering /larger specimen plants then just select which one you want to see...

https://www.trehanenursery.co.uk/Camellia_plants_by_Mail_Order_s/1818.htm

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .