Forum home Fruit & veg

Rhubarb

pclark42pclark42 Frolesworth, EnglandPosts: 160
Hi All
A couple of years ago I grew 3 Rhubarb plants from seed, 2 of them lasted about 6 months in the ground and perished. the remaining one grew on through 2021 and into 2022, it had 3 shoots that looked good and strong, but then it seemed to go all floppy and limp, I watered it and used a little liquid feed, but it didn't respond, it's still in the ground so I will see what happens come spring. 3 weeks ago I was at a garden centre and they were selling off young Rhubarb plants for 2.99 so I bought one in it's pot 100 mm square and 150 mm deep, I put it on my back doorstep, it didn't require watering due to it having been soaked at the Garden Centre. when the frost came it went all floppy like the others. Can anyone help, I always thought Rhubarb was a plant/fruit that was mad easy to grow.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,875
    edited December 2022
    The frost will cause the cells in the plant to burst - much like a water pipe that bursts after a frost.
    So the limp leaves are nothing to worry about - it's normal after a frost.

As to why your others haven't thrived I'm not sure.
    I plated 3 a couple of years ago - 2 in full sun, the other had some shade - it never thrived and seems to have disappeared
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,251
    As long as the root is deep enough in the soil, say 10-12 inches, it should reappear next spring.  It's pretty tough old stuff.  A bit of mulch can protect it a bit.