Forum home Problem solving

Will my banana plant recover

I have this bannana that slowly had been having yellow leaves that I have been cutting off, it has produced new lovely green leaves, but they then turn yellow and crispy. As the stem still looks green, are the leaves just preparing for dormancy, or is the plant dying?  Thank you 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470
    If it is inside I would not expect it to do that. I cut off all the leaves on my banana before I put it in the greenhouse, it has been so mild it produced a load more new leaves.  It could be lack of light.
  • Your banana plant needs to be in a bigger pot.  It’s depleted the nutrients in the compost.  Yellowing/browning of leaves is down to overwatering, underwatering and lack of nutrients.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    edited December 2022
    Overwatering and underwatering??
    Surely can't be both.

Lack of light seems the most likely problem.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • @punkdoc both overwatering and underwatering CAN cause the above symptoms.  Banana plants should be watered when the compost is dry.  This stops both over and under watering.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    I understand that, but saying both does not help the OP.
    On the whole, during the growing season, bananas need loads of water, almost impossible to over water. In this country during winter, they need next to no watering. It is quite feasible to wrap them in a sack and store them in the loft, without water at all.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Your banana plant looks as if it is suffering from lack of water, too hot, dry air conditions, and lack of light. It is in far too small a pot and also probably needs gentle feeding, little and often until it perks up. 
    You do not say where you live, I am in the SW and leave mine outside all year round. It is in a large ceramic pot tucked away in a very sheltered corner and I tip the pot on its side, with the plant facing the house wall during the winter. 
    A few years ago mine flowered, they then die back and new baby shoots develop around the outside of the base of the mother plant.
  • I think it looks like it's too dry as well. If the soil was to wet then the leaves would likely turn yellow all over and become mushy but with the edges of the leaves dry and crispy, I think lack of water is the issue.

Do you know which species it is? Musa basjoo is the most common hardy (or hardiest) banana but dwarf Cavendish are sold as houseplants and they aren't anywhere near as hardy so need different treatment. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,086
    edited December 2022
    Has it always been inside?
    As @thevictorian says - the variety will also be a factor.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....