Forum home Problem solving

Peace lily post-splitting

Hi everyone.

I split my peace lily approx 2 weeks ago. I felt it couldn't wait for spring. It had clearly outgrown its pot and looked droopy a lot of the time.

I split her into 4 pots. None of them are doing well. Leaves are turning yellow at a speed I've not seen before; both young and old leaves. I'm finding when watering them that the water isn't being absorbed very well into the soil. It sits like a little pool on top for a bit and then the soil stays a bit soggy afterwards.

When I potted them, I used a generic potting compost. I think I pressed down the soil quite a bit as I found them very unstable, being quite big established plants even once split. I feel like I've created the problem here by making a poor draining situation.

I've gone out and bought some household plant potting mix (sterilised soil, coir, composted fine bark, wood fibre, loam, vermiculite, maglime and nutrient), plus some bark based orchid medium. Thinking of repotting them now using these. Worried about transplant shock, especially given I only repotted 2 weeks ago, but also worried I've created a nasty environment for them so it can't wait...

Any thoughts / am I missing anything?

Thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,086
    Not something I grow, but I think the mistake is - splitting them now. Splitting into four will also be tricky because they'll struggle to establish and make roots just now. It may have been better to just pop it into a slightly bigger pot with some fresh compost, and then wait till spring. 
    The soil mix it's been in may have been unsuitable, if the water wasn't absorbing well, and then staying wet long term. The general nutrient content may have been depleted too, which may have caused drooping.

However, have you got any photos though @phil.jennings91a4tsctHg ? That will help with advice, and maybe someone who grows them will be able to offer better insight  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Bee witchedBee witched Scottish BordersPosts: 1,098
    I do grow them .... but I think @Fairygirl is right, it wasn't a good idea to do it now.
    But you are where you are.

If I was you I'd cut all the foliage off completely on, say, 2 of them. I would probably do them all.
    Worth taking them all out of the compost they are in now. Shake it off, and then repot into the houseplant potting compost. This will be sterile, so you'll avoid those annoying little fungus gnat breeding. During the first lockdown I had no option but to use my own home made compost. It's good stuff, but the gnats were a right pain.

I wouldn't bother with the orchid medium, unless you want to top off with it for decorative purposes once they've all been watered after repotting.

Good luck, and don't forget to feed once they are growing well.
    We get a regular flurry of posts on here from people that never get flowers on these plants but they've never fed them.
    Tomato feed is ideal.

Bee x
    Bees must gather nectar from two million flowers to make one pound of honey   
  • Thank you both. 

I'm hoping to get back to healthy plants. I was getting about 15 flowers at once before she started drooping recently so I'll remain positive. Should get some time to do something in the next day or two.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 8,298
    They don't like being split. I split my last one in spring(been growing them for years) in 2, smaller one didn't survive. I just use common or garden MPC. Friend on my instructions did the same, neither survived