Forum home Fruit & veg

Planters for veg

Evening 
 I wonder if anybody could help with choosing and were to buy a planter for the mrs to be able to plant a variety of vegetables including deep root types . I’ve been to my local garden centres but it seems they have either sold out of put them away for winter . I think I may need something around 1.5 m sort of area but unsure of what depth would be best , it would be nice to have a shelf on it . I’ve seen the odd ones on bq but seem to be bad reports .has anybody seen any online .
thanks 

• InBloomInBloom Posts: 49
    edited December 2022
    Not finding what we wanted (and seeing eye watering prices) We built our own from deck boards which meant we could get the size we wanted to fit into the space too.

If you could find the right size boards there would be very little sawing needed as well. Just a thought if you'd considered making your own 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,194
    I've always built my own. Good quality fencing timber [use a building supplier not a DIY store]  some decent battens for the corners [I used fence posts concreted in though] and screw the timber on. I also added coping edges, as they were to be decorative. Lined with plastic - you can use old compost bags or similar. Mine vary is size and height.

Very easy to do   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,583
    You should have posted a photo @Fairygirl!   Fortunately I saved one of yours to show OH.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,194
    Oh - I didn't think to do that @Obelixx
    Hope that's useful for you @Rockhopper :)
    A lot of mine aren't square like that one, or rectangular, because they were built to fit the angled fence, so that I had a rectangular space in the middle of the garden.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yeah thanks guys . Did think about building one . Il have to try and knock some plans up 😀
    thanks 
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,620
    Lots of options here - https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/raised-beds-tcid2.html The classified ads in the back of most gardening mags will throw up lots more options.

• nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 1,251
    1.5m is only about 5ft in old money, but our enquirer doesn't say whether that's 'square' or has a length to it.  'Deep rooted vegetables' conjures up visions of parsnips and leeks for which there might not be space for a crop of any size.  Does it also have to be 'pretty' for his OH?  There are practical ways, but wouldn't be too pleasing to the eye.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,634
    This is what hubby built for me out of an old 8×10 shed. Different sized beds to fit the area, plus nothing deeper than I can reach. Hope this helps @Rockhopper

• I occasionally shop at a local farm shop, I buy catering-sized washing up, laundry, and fabric softener liquids, and each time I go I eye up the galvanized water and feeding troughs. They would make brilliant planters. Probably cost an arm and a leg, I haven't costed them yet. Must remember next time I go there.
  • CrankyYankeeCrankyYankee New England, USAPosts: 144
    I occasionally shop at a local farm shop, I buy catering-sized washing up, laundry, and fabric softener liquids, and each time I go I eye up the galvanized water and feeding troughs. They would make brilliant planters. Probably cost an arm and a leg, I haven't costed them yet. Must remember next time I go there.

I use old water troughs very successfully!  I have the heavy-duty Rubbermaid ones, though, not the galvanized ones.  I also use an old porcelain bathtub that has a massive crack in the bottom.  My pride and joy is a large fiberglass form that was once part of a cover for an electrical transformer.  It looks for all the world like a giant window box.  @Rockhopper - not sure if you have something like Craigslist (is that international?) but that's where I find a lot of my planters or items that aren't meant to be planters but that's what I'll use them for. ;) Of course, my gardening is more eclectic than traditional.  I just purchased a round bale hay ring and set it on edge in my garden to use as a squash trellis.