Forum home Wildlife gardening

Chicken feed for wild birds?

floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,166
The price of bird food is so expensive here this year even the so called cheap ones which are full of fillers. Sunflower hearts are a no no this year, so I was wondering about giving chicken grains?

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,565
    Hi @floralies
    When I fed my hens every morning, there were many happy diners at their table - including those 2 pesky pigeons that spy on my from their tree.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142
    In my experience chicken feed grains contain a ot barley ... that'll attract pigeons and some of the larger birds ... smaller birds like goldfinches, tits etc will discard most of them.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 2,166
    That's what I was wondering @Dovefromabove I just can't afford to buy 40 kg of sunflower hearts which is the amount the goldfinches will eat each winter, if not more!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142
    edited December 2022
    Chris Skinner of High Ash Farm (a fount of knowledge of all things to do with feeding wild birds etc  who broadcasts regularly on BBC Radio Norfolk) recommends the black sunflower seeds with the husks still on ... they're quite a bit cheaper than the shelled hearts ... he says the birds are quite capable of opening them ... it's just they take a little longer, but as he says that gives us a better chance to watch them.  Of course, it also means they drop the husks, but a broom soon deas with that.  

https://www.facebook.com/Highashfarm/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I quite agree, of course the soft billed birds go for the easy option first for fast food!
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,552
    edited December 2022
    @floralies  have only once found sunflower hearts on sale here and the price was ridiculous.   Our wild birds get the packs of mixed grains sold in Leclerc.  We decant them into a big tub so we can add extra black sunflower seeds, also from Leclerc.   

Currently getting thru 3 mugs a day as loose feed for ground feeders plus fat balls and blocks for the swingers.  The hens like it too.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    That's what I'm doing @Obelixx doing a decant and mix.