Forum home The potting shed

colonoscopy

AlbeAlbe Posts: 123
edited December 2022 in The potting shed
Next year I turn 50 and I was suggested to have one.
I'd like to lower the chances that  my wife becomes a widow, and daughter an orphan, earlier than necessary, so I'll go for it.
But it doesn't sound much fun. :(

Comment anyone?
You had it done?
Or maybe you it's part of you job doing it to others?

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,619
    Who suggested it? It isn't much fun. It is not a risk free procedure and should not be undertaken without a good reason. I had several as I was being monitored due to family history but that has stopped and been replaced by the poo stick test.
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,778
    Had one a few years ago. Not pleasant but bearable. Especially when compared with the potential alternatives.

• AlbeAlbe Posts: 123
    edited December 2022
    steephill said:
    Who suggested it? It isn't much fun. It is not a risk free procedure and should not be undertaken without a good reason.
    The nurse-receptionist at the Urologist where I go for prostate check every year. I take she knows what she's speaking about.
    Afterwards I googled it, it seems indeed in most countries they recommend it starting from age 50.
    No history btw.
    Biglad said:
    Especially when compared with the potential alternatives.
    Sure, this is the thing
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,254
    My OH had one done after a poo stick test. He said it was not as bad as he imagined. The worst part was that the two people doing it were talking about having Toad in the Hole for the evening meal.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,619
    Just checked and in 2020 after my last one the surgeon wrote to me saying guidelines had been updated and there wouldn't be any more routine colonoscopies. The practice was being replaced by the National Bowel Cancer Screening campaign using the more accurate FIT tests. Scotland screens from age 50, England and Wales are lagging behind but are bringing in a phased reduction in minimum age.
  • scrogginscroggin KentPosts: 203
    I've had an endoscopy ( left side of the bowel) and a full colonoscopy. In my case they found a couple of polyps, non malignant ( after biopsy tests) , better safe than sorry.
    The procedure isn't anything to worry about, a bit of mild discomfort, mainly from the gas they use to expand the bowel. They wouldn't have found the polyps with a ' poo test' so I'd advise anyone to have it if offered.
    The ' worst ' part for me, hope no one is eating, is the solution they give you to empty your bowels, make sure you're in close attendance to the loo!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,277
    I've had two, both NHS ... one in my 50s (precautionary due to my family history... this one found and removed a small polyp later found to be benign). 

The second was quite recently triggered by an issue revealed by a regular Poo Stick test.  They found and removed two polyps ... one quite large, thankfully also revealed to be benign.  I will be called back in three years for another.  It's not fun ... but I've had two babies and it's not as bad as that  ;)

I don't know what the 'system' is where you live @Albe (Germany I believe?) ... are regular Poo Sticks tests offered once you reach a certain age?

My brother who had private health insurance has had regular colonoscopies privately due to our family history (every other year I think).  Whilst they've removed quite a few large benign poyps for him over the past fifteen years or so, they didn't spot the tumour which has now metastasised and he now has incurable tumours throughout his body and for which he is receiving immunotherapy ... which is slowing their development but at a severe cost to his health including his eyesight and he cannot see well enough to drive or read ordinary print, is in a high degree of constant 'discomfort' and  has other very  unpleasant side effects. 

Nothing is guaranteed. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

@Dovefromabove thanks for sharing and I wish your brother well.
    Yes, Deutschland here.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,277
    Thank you @Albe
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh