Forum home Problem solving

Dragon Tree with White Fluff

My dragon tree has some white fluff growing on it and one part has lost most it's leaves.
I only water it when the soil is dry, about once a week. It's in a west facing window which doesn't get much sun (actually in my classroom - I'm a school teacher!) in a very well controlled temperature.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118
    It might be from scale insect or similar- I can't see it well enough.

They like a shady site when indoors. I'd move it away from the window. It might be far too warm as well. I haven't grown them for a long time though.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,867
    edited December 2022
    That part of the plant is dead and the fluff is fungus feeding on the dead material.
    If you cut it down about 1" below where it splits into a trident, it should resprout from that point.

A window sill gets extremely cold at night due to cold air falling from the window.
    It would be better to keep it away from the window over night if poss.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Arthur1Arthur1 Posts: 533
    I would agree with the pruning ,  take out the dead stem and cut back the live one to give a bushier plant. Check for meally bug - can't tell from the photo.
    You may be overwatering. Water thoroughly so that the root ball is saturated. Then allow to dry out. Then water again. You may need to do this once a week  maybe once a month, depends on time of year, temperature and growth rate etc.
    Personally I would leave it in the windowsill day and night. Plants adapt and don't like to be moved.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118
    I forgot about that @Pete.8 and @Arthur1, re the pruning  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I've found them to be one of the easiest "house" plants over the years.  I currently have 2 different types on a N facing kitchen window sill - no problems other than one is getting a wee bit too tall for it's space  :)
    If you prune out the dead stems as suggested above and ensure you don't over water, it should be fine.  It will benefit from a period outside ( avoiding full sun ) during summer tho that may not be possible in a school environment.
  • Thanks everyone. I cut off the lower part, hopefully it will grow back.
    I decided to move the plant (permanently) away from the window so hopefully that will help.
    I've also tried giving it more water but less often - I don't think I was "soaking" it. The soil is well drained and there is space below the inner pot so hopefully that will be ok.