Forum home Plants

WHAT EVERGREEN SHRUB WITH YELLOW FLOWERS ?

JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN North DevonPosts: 195
This shrub has evergreen leaves and up until 3 weeks ago had Hibiscus type yellow flowers.
Can anyone identify it ? it doesn't have the right leaves for a Hibiscus.

• JAYJARDINJAYJARDIN North DevonPosts: 195
    It's lovely but has grown sideways sadly, it's in the wrong place as it's in perpetual shade. Shame.
  • JemulaJemula WorcestershirePosts: 165
    Could be fremontodendron?
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,457
    Fremontodendron
  • AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 595
    Fremontodendron.

You might want to note the bit about the health hazard.  I knew of someone who suffered lung problems after a pruning session, so beware.
    East Anglia
    Just looked it up and yes it seems you are all definitely right. I'll take care when pruning. Thanks so much for the advice.
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,028
    I think the clue is in it's name with this one.  It prefers full sun in the UK perhaps that is why it is leaning? You will need eye and face protection and I am not sure if you will be able to get it back to a good shape. I do know of just one growing locally to me so my knowledge is limited.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
    I'm not sure I want such a toxic plant, I'm so accident prone that I'm bound to have a disaster with it!!
  • GardenerSuzeGardenerSuze I garden in South Notts on an improved clay soil Posts: 3,028
    @JAYJARDIN May be it is rarely seen partly because of the health issues, it does look in a bad way. The one that grows locally to me is totally on it's own at the edge of a wide patio so you can keep away. Not sure if it will be happy with last nights cold weather.
    The most serious gardening I do would seem very strange to an onlooker,for it involves hours of walking round in circles,apparently doing nothing. Helen Dillon.
    I'm definitely thinking of having it removed professionally, as you say the angle it has grown at isn't great and it's struggling to get any sunshine there. A shade loving shrub would be happier in it's place.