Forum home Wildlife gardening

Sunflower Heart feeder Chewed apart

TerrysWorldTerrysWorld South MonmouthshirePosts: 135
edited December 2022 in Wildlife gardening
Is this a result of a Squirrel being alittle hungry.

This and other feeders of different food is some 170cm off ground, the pole is covered with a round water drain pipe to deter anything climbing. The other feeders are not disturbed.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,263
    Yes.  Afraid you'll have to invest in a squirrel proof feeder 🙄

They can climb up greasy poles ... little rascals  >:)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    We have found there is no type of feeder that is squirrel proof.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,239
    By accident we have found one solution to the pesky squirrel problem. 

On old bird table base, that had its fancy top part long rotted away and just a small square of plywood left at the top.

An old plastic bucket that contained fish food turned upside down onto the plywood top.

The bucket has a small rim around the base which keeps the bird food from falling off.

Squirrels climb up the base of the bird table, meet the overhanging bucket, and are completely unable to lean out far enough to grasp the bucket and go any further.

We have found that this only works if the table is at least six feet from the nearest bench or other thing that could be used as a launchpad.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LunarSeaLunarSea Cheshire / Derbyshire borderPosts: 1,159
    edited December 2022
    I've had to resort to a purpose-made squirrel baffle (drilled half globe fitted concave side down around the pole). Seems to have worked so far.

Unibos Large Universal Bird Feeding Station Plastic Squirrel Baffle, For Stop Squirrels Stealing Bird Feed Transparent, 40 x 19 x 40 cm New Bird Feeding Station, Clear New : Amazon.co.uk: Garden
    Delusion is the ideal place to rest on a painful journey to the truth
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    We found that a baffle worked for a while, but our squirrels have now learnt to negotiate it. They seem highly intelligent, if vey annoying.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • TerrysWorldTerrysWorld South MonmouthshirePosts: 135
    Thanks,
    Got some ideas now….
    I got some large Chicken pellet tubs to do same, take off bird table with feeders and put a tub between pole and table 👍🤞
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,143
    We have large baffles on both our poles,  not only have they given up trying they’ve cleared off back to the woods over the road. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Yes. We put an old light shade on the upright to the feeders. The squirrel did try to get across but didn't succeed. Birds win.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,144
    I have purpose built cage feeders which the squirrels can't get into, although they try. The small birds can all get in. They mainly chew the little wooden thumb turns I use for opening the doors to re stock the food, so I'm replacing those with metal ones.

I've also stopped using peanuts. That helps. There's plenty of stuff in the area for them to eat, so I'm certainly not supplying them.
    They've not been in at all this autumn/winter, or at least - I haven't seen them at all. As per @Lyn's post, they're in the nearby woodland etc.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Patsy FPatsy F KentPosts: 53
    We invested in a spring loaded seed feeder, which completely baffles the squirrels.  They had totally destroyed 3 new ‘squirrel proof’ feeders!