Forum home Problem solving

Help please, covered in black fly, now looks dead what can I do?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    Hello @jillbutterworth7 and welcome to the forum  :)

Can you tell us what sort of plant it is/was  ;)  

Has it been watered regularly or is it one that has escaped attention?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    I was assuming it was a Sennechio Angels Wings, and it looks dead to me.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Hi thanks for replying, it's an angel wings recently bought for me, within days it was covered in black fly, it's in a type of bark the same as for orchids so water runs straight out, it's been watered about once a week, however it was near a radiator, I wonder if it was light enough as I've just seen it prefers sunlight, 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    They are outdoor plants, although not 100% hardy.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Okay so do you think it would be okay in an unheated greenhouse or lean-to which is usually frost free?
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,977
    As it's been indoors near a radiator (which it will not have enjoyed) I would put it in a greenhouse to recover. It will probably just sit there not growing until the spring. In the long term, they are best off outdoors, and they do go rather manky over winter but if you trim off damaged vegetation they will regrow. 
  • Thank you, I've moved it to the lean-to where I can keep an eye on it, & will remove the worst of the leaves, hopefully it will recover in the spring, thank you all for the advice would it be worth giving it a feed?
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,722
    edited December 2022
    No feed while it's poorly. Spring time after it's started growing will be the time to feed it. Keep the compost just slightly moist (not soggy). It won't take up much water or any feed while it isn't growing and has no live leaves on it.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,594
    I lost mine too @jillbutterworth7   I posted a thread here on the 24th May.

They both were outside in a sunny position - it wasn't tooooo hot in May.  I am down south.  Ideal weather.  Blackfly hit - I tried to squish, wash, spray and cover with a plastic bag.  To no avail.  The only thing I could think of, is that I overwatered and they rotted.  They were in a bark type compost.

They are hardy - I had mine outside last winter (in a pot) in a summer kitchen.  Plenty of light but no heating.

Good luck with yours.
    Tui 
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• Thank you, the photo makes it look worse than it is, I've removed the worst of the leaves & given it a drink also moved to the lean-to. I think it looks slightly better, probably because of the water, I'll keep an eye on it and hopefully it will recover in the spring, gentle watering & a bit of t l c fingers crossed